List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1055753

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityFlore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360734

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FLORE SP65NW 9/88 Church of All Saints 18/01/68 GV II* Church. Mainly C13 with C14 work, south porch and east end of chancel C15, repaired 1796 and interior restored and reseated 1876-7. Coursed squared ironstone, lead roofs. Chancel, north chancel, vestry, nave and north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. 3-bay chancel has 4-light Perpendicular east window with buttress below and offset diagonal buttress to angles, one 3-light Perpendicular window to north and vestry. This has small pane leaded east window with rectangular chamfered surround, a 2-light Perpendicular west window with straight head, and angle buttress. Plain stone coped parapet and semicircular stepped stone-roofed projection in angle between south-west corner and chancel. To south, chancel has 3-light Perpendicular window to south-east, priest's door to left with chamfered stone surround and pointed arched head framed by outer arch on shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, large nailhead decoration arch and hood mould continued to right as string course; to south-west a 3-light low side window with intersecting tracery and arched lights with cut spandrels below transom. Nave has clerestory with 3 leaded windows to north and south; 2 lead rainwater heads and pipes either side with heads to south dated 1798 and 1796. North aisle has 3-light east window with flowing tracery and two 3-light north windows with intersecting tracery to east of north door, a 2-light window with cusped tracery to west of door and to west end, and diagonal buttresses to angles. North door has inner arch with sunk quadrant moulding and hollow-chamfered outer arch. South aisle has 3-light east and south-east windows with reticulated tracery and buttress in between, a 3-light window with renewed intersecting tracery to east of porch, 2-light windows with renewed Decorated tracery to west and west end; diagonal buttresses to angles. Fine south door has moulded inner arch with carved stone head above. 3 outer arches with outer and inner arches and sunk quadrant mouldings, middle arch hollow-chamfered, on 2 shafts either side with stiff leaf capitals to left, vine-leaf capitals to right. Stones of arches are of alternating limestone and ironstone. South porch has renewed doorway with blocked 1-light window above framing fine carved stone head, diagonal buttresses and 2-light, straight-headed windows north and south. Aisles overlap 3-stage west tower with diagonal buttresses to west angles, a many-moulded west door, a one-light west window to middle stage, 2-light Decorated bell openings, battlemented parapet, and chamfered slits lighting spiral stair to north-west side of door succeeded by cross slits at bell-stage level. All windows and doors except for clerestory have hood moulds some with good label stops. Interior: chancel has double piscina and single seat sedilia and tie beam roof painted c.1960 by Stephen Dykes Bower. Rood screen of 3-light divisions. Nave has 3-bay arcade with double-chamfered arches on piers with triple shafts to 4 sides with one foliage capital and north-east respond otherwise plain. Flat plastered ceilings to nave and aisles with small ribbed cupola to middle of nave ceiling. Piscina with cusped ogee arch and hood mould with label stops and finial at south-east end of south aisle. C19 stained glass east windows to chancel and aisles. Hanoverian Royal Arms over tower arch; oil on canvas. Painted commandments, Lords Prayer and creed boards in vestries. Cut down box pews. Early C19 wall monuments. Brasses to Thomas Knaresburgh d.1450 and his wife d.1498; Henry Michell d.1510 and wife; Alice Wyrley d.1537. (Kellys Directory 1898; Buildings of England: Northants, p.219).

Listing NGR: SP6419359847

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Bedfordshire Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire - Date: 1898 - Journal Title: Kelly's Directory
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 219

National Grid Reference: SP 64193 59847

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 06:36:41.