List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1055749

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentSwaleDistrict AuthorityNewnham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 176454

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 95 NE NEWNHAM THE STREET (south side)

4/48 Church of St. Peter and 24.1.67 St. Paul

GV II*

Parish Church. Circa 1200, extended C14 and extensively restored 1868. Flint with plain tiled roofs. Chancel with north and south chapels, nave with aisles, north west tower and north porch. Two stage tower with broach spire and lucarnes, heavily restored exterior with lancets in south aisle and chancel south wall, otherwise C19 or C15 windows. Interior: nave with north arcade c.1200 of 2 chamfered arches on square pier and responds with simple abaci, with similar arch from north aisle to tower. South arcade C14 with 3 double hollow chamfered arches on octagonal piers, and similar arch to south chapel. Roof of 4 crown posts. Chancel arch simple C12 arch on abaci with clasped attached shafts. Chancel with 1 south lancet, and crenellated wall plate, north and south chapels with roofs of 3 crown posts each, with crenellated and moulded wall plates; simple chamfered arches to chancel. Fittings: cusped piscina and trefoil headed niche and arched aumbrey in chancel, and chamfered piscina in south chapel. Full set of C19 fittings including reredos, altar rails, double decker pulpit, box pews, choir stalls and benches and octagonal font. Monuments: on the south wall of chancel, white marble wall tablet to John Hulse, d.1681, with scrolled and foliated Ionic pilasters, with cherub's head and draped urn, and swan-necked pediment, all on base with cherubs' heads, brackets and swags. (See BOE KENT II 1983, 40) .



Listing NGR: TQ9540157627

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 40

National Grid Reference: TQ 95401 57627

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 02:04:40.