List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH HOUSE WITH INTEGERAL ORANGERY

List entry Number: 1055715

Location

CHURCH HOUSE WITH INTEGERAL ORANGERY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityYeovil

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 261344

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST5516SE YEOVIL CP CHURCH STREET (South side)

5/7 Church House with integral orangery

19.3.51

GV II*

Town House, now offices. Circa 1770, Red Brick with Ham stone dressings; Welsh slated roof between coped gables, each termimating in brick chimney stacks. 2-storeys, attic and basement, 5-bay main facade with high plinth with 4-plain basement windows in plain surrounds: rusticated quoins, no string course: strong dentilled cornice with brick parapet crowned by stone urns at corners. central entrance, up segmental sweep of 6 steps, with 6-panel door, the upper 2-panels glazed with margined lights - no fanlight, stone architrave with keystone: above a dentilled pediment on bold console brackets. All windows have 12-pane sashes - first floor square panes, ground floor slightly elongated - set in architraves with central keystones: centre window first floor has segmental head with Gibbsian surround. In centre of roof 2-light timber dormer window behind parapet with pedimented roof. On left-hand side the single storey orangery, not much later than main house, of brick with Welsh slate hipped roof behind parapet. Arcade of 4 semi-circular arched french windows, with recessed panels above each window, below stone cornice and parapet. Internally, the left-hand room on ground floor has good cornice, and possibly the original marble fireplace: the right-hand room has lost its cornice but has another early marble fireplace and a niche. The staircase seems to be mostly original work. To rear of building an arched doorway and door, possibly C17, and some stone windows with leading, one cruciform in pattern. On north side a 2-storey extension in local stone - of uncertain date, this and another building on site were damaged by enemy action cl940. Also on the same site 2 coach houses, (q.v.). Probably the finest remaining town house in Yeovil, this house has played a prominent part in the town's legal affairs, being the home of the Batten Family Solicitors since C18: the Town Courts Mere held in the north annexe until about 20 years ago: during a considerable part of the early C20 the principal resident solicitor was also Town Clerk.

Listing NGR: ST5561716012

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 55615 16020

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 02:26:56.