List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CONDOVER HALL

List entry Number: 1055706

Location

CONDOVER HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityCondover

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-Nov-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259383

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 40 NE CONDOVER C.P. CONDOVER

5/81 Condover Hall -

3.11.55

GV I

Country house, now school. 1598 for Thomas Owen, Justice of Common Pleas on behalf of his son, Roger; Walter Hancock probably master mason. Red sandstone ashlar with yellow stone dressings; machine tile roofs with coped verges and prominent red brick stacks, some with attached shafts of star section, largely re-built in late C19. E-plan with shallow projecting full-height porch to centre. 2 storeys with gabled attics, moulded band with strapwork decoration to first floor and moulded eaves cornice; cellars; 1:3:1:3:1 bays, mullioned and transomed windows throughout, those on ground floor with 2 transoms and those to first floor and attic with one, blind oculi flanking attic windows; projecting wings have shallow 2-storey 7-light canted bay windows; central full-height entrance porch with 5- light canted bay windows to first and second floors; obelisks and strapwork achievement to shaped gable with small pediment and finial to top; round- arched doorway has wide low pediment supported on Doric columns, richly carved late C19 double doors and Owen coat-of-arms above, below first-floor window; C18 lead downpipes to corners. Right (north) return; has rectangular tower with 2-light mullioned and transomed windows and partly open parapet to centre with prominent lateral stacks to left and right; 2-storey projection below tower with 4-light mullioned and transomed windows, flanked by 3-light mullioned and transomed windows to left and right; mullioned and transomed windows to outer sides of stacks, blocked except upper left, lower right painted with imitation Gothic glazing. West front: has 5 gables, 3 to recessed centre and 2 to projecting wings, which, like those to entrance front, have shallow 2-storey 7-light bay windows; centre with 9-bay round-arched arcade to ground floor, probably once open (c.f. Burghley and Hatfield) but now with C19 Gothic glazing; mezzanine storey above has 3-light mullion windows with wide pediments; shallow 5-light canted bay to centre carried up from mezzanine to gable; mullioned and transomed windows throughout (except to mezzanine), all with single transoms. Left (south) return: original design partly obscured by additions of late C19, c.1927 and late C20; C20 extension of rectangular tower (originally like that on north) projecting to centre; small elabor- ately decorated porch attached to lateral stack to front probably late C19. Interior: much altered in late C19 and during C20, original stone fireplace in room to right of entrance porch has coupled Ionic columns below with pillars above, 3 round-headed arches above overmantel with 2 standing figures in outer arches flanking coat-of-arms of Roger Owen to centre: late C19 staircase in room to left of entrance porch with 4 flights to landing and carved lions to newels; some of restored early C17 panelling in centre rooms and projecting left wing (the latter decorated with rosette and other floral motifs) is probably original to the house, but some is said to have been brought here from elsewhere. Condover Hall is the best large house of its date in the county. B.o.E., p. 112-13; Country Life, Vols. 3 and 43.

Listing NGR: SJ4952105658

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 112-13
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 43, ()
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 43, ()
Other
Part 35 Shropshire,

National Grid Reference: SJ 49521 05658

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 11:21:30.