List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHATWALL HALL

List entry Number: 1055617

Location

CHATWALL HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityCardington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259572

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 59 NW CARDINGTON C.P. CARDINGTON

5/31 Chatwall Hall 29.1.52

- II*

Farmhouse. Mid-Cl7 with c.1700 alterations and c.1899 additions. Dressed Hoar Edge Grit sandstone with C20 plain tile roof. Irregular plan. 2 storeys and attic. 3 gables to front, left-hand projecting; chamfered plinth, large pebbledashed external stack in front of right- hand gable with tiled set back to brick shaft and external lateral stone stack at rear with brick shaft. 2-window front; C17 three-light double-chamfered mullioned stone windows and 2-light attic windows, that to left minus mullion but with Shrewsbury arms in roundel above. Small blocked double-chamfered window in right-hand return of wing; centre has first-floor window with moulded cornice and two ground- floorc.1700two-light windows with flat-faced mullions, that to right with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice. Probably c.1700 one-storey dressed sandstone porch to right with moulded plinth and cornice, and flat roof, replacing former mono pitch; C19 Tudor-arched nail-studded boarded door with bolection-moulded surround and pulvinated frieze, and small double-chamfered stone window in left-hand return front. Introduced (probably replica) lead rainwater head between right-hand gable lettered: "AD/1620". Two C19 gabled wings at rear (see straight joint in right-hand end wall). Interior: central ground-floor room C I has panelling dated: R S and lettered R C with fluted frieze, large 1659 corner fireplace with chamfered lintel, carved frieze and C18 raised and fielded panelled overmantel, the centre panel with a shaped top, and chamfered ceiling beam with plain and ogee stops. Right-hand ground- floor room has fireplace with chamfered dressed sandstone reveals and chamfered wooden lintel with mason's mitre. Ogee-stopped chamfered cross-beamed ceiling also with chamfered joists. Left-hand first- floor room with corner fireplace. Timber framed cross walls; left- hand wing has collar and tie-beam trusses with queen struts and v-struts. Gable end of right-hand wing is timber framed with square panels, angle braces, and cambered tie-beam truss with queen struts and v-struts. The right-hand gable formerly projected with a timber framed wing. This probably explains its unfinished look and the large external stack. B.0.E., p.95. - -

Listing NGR: SO5141997544

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 95

National Grid Reference: SO 51419 97544

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 06:21:17.