List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1055585

Location

MANOR FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityBerrington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-May-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259698

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BERRINGTON C.P. BERRINGTON SJ 5206-5306 11/45 - Manor Farmhouse GV II*

Farmhouse. Dated 1658 with probably late C17 addition, partly refaced or rebuilt and extended in the early and the mid-C19. Timber framed with rendered infill panels on coursed red sandstone rubble and red brick plinth, rendered at rear of cross-wing; partial red brick refacing or rebuilding and additions; stone slate roof with laced valleys, and plain tile roof. Baffle-entry plan; hall range of one framed bay with gabled cross-wing to left of 2 framed bays and probably later projecting cross-wing to right which is also of 2 framed bays; later infill at rear. 2 storeys and 2 storeys and attic. Plinth, jettied first floor and gables with moulded bressumers and shaped brackets; dentil brick eaves cornice to right-hand return front; plain barge boards with finials; central jettied full dormer with coving, square panel framing, jettied gable with moulded bressumer and carved brackets, and 3-light metal casement; cruciform brick-ridge stack off-centre to left with pilaster shafting and oversailing top, right-hand cross-wing with brick ridge stack consisting of 2 star-shaped shafts with oversailing tops, external brick end stack to rear, and stack in valley at rear. Framing: square panels, 6 from sole-plate to wall-plate in 1658 range and 5 in late C17 range with curved brace; collar and tie-beam trusses with queen struts and curved V-struts. 3-window front; mid-to late C19 two-,3-and 4-light wooden casements with transoms; close studding beneath central ground- floor window and 2 blank round arches with impost mouldings and pendant finials beneath central first-floor window; entrance to right of window in left-hand cross-wing has C17 nailed door with strap hinges and moulded surround with ogee stops; recessed porch with side-benches, and entrance with moulded surround and dated above : A P AB MB RB 1658 2-window left-hand return front with rendered plinth, and one-storey wash house to left with boarded door and 2-light casement. Right-hand return front: 3 bays; first-floor 2- and 3-light mid-to late C19 wooden casements with transoms, and 2 ground-floor canted flat-roofed brick bays with tripartite glazing bar sashes; 4 steps up to central half-glazed flush-panelled door with panelled pilastered surround and lead-covered flat-roofed porch with chamfered tapered posts, arch-bracing, and frieze and moulded cornice. Right-hand part of elevation set back. Interior: chamfered beams and wall-plates, and plain joists in central ground-floor room; C17 staircase up from entrance lobby; large C17 open kitchen fireplace with chamfered lintel; large C17 open fireplace in central ground-floor room with early C19 surround, fine early C19 cast iron range with fluted and other decoration, and early C19 spit rack above; some C17 wainscot panelling; right-hand cross-wing has early C19 fittings including 4-panelled doors, internal window shutters, and staircase with closed string, stick balusters, and moulded handrail with column- ular newel post. The right-hand cross-wing appears to be late Cl7 but further investigation might reveal it to be of an earlier date. This is a particularly well-preserved and fine example of a C17 farmhouse retaining much of its character internally as well as externally, and also forms an important part of the group around the Church of All Saints (q.v.). V.C.H. Vol.VIII, p p.13-27, B.O.E. p. 73.



Listing NGR: SJ5304106796

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 13-27
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 73

National Grid Reference: SJ 53041 06795

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 03:39:48.