List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1055560

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityCound

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259737

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COUND C.P. COUND SJ 50 NE SJ 5504 4/83 and 13/83 Church of St Peter 13.6.58 GV I

Parish church. C13 nave, C13 south aisle rebuilt in the C14, C15 west tower, north aisle of 1841 or 1842, built at the expense of Frances Thursby, chancel of 1862 by S. Pountney Smith, built at the expense of the Rev. Henry Thursby-Pelham, M.A. of Cound Hall (q.v.), nave and south aisle restored in 1843 and in 1891, and the vestry added in 1891. Dressed red, yellow and grey sandstone with ashlar dressings, chancel of snecked dressed red sandstone with red and yellow ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs. 4-bay nave, 3-bay south aisle with porch, 4-bay north aisle, higher 4-bay chancel with north vestry and organ chamber and west tower; C19 additions in a C14 Gothic style. Tower: 2 stages, with plinth, diagonal buttresses with 7 offsets, moulded string, parapet string with carved gargoyles, battlemented parapet with 8 pinnacles, and low pyramidal cap with weathervane; north-east stair turret: with square first stage chamfered to 3-sided belfry-stage, chamfered top, and chamfered rectangular openings; 4-centred arched louvred belfry openings with 3 ogee-headed lights and moulded reveals; quatrefoiled square sounding holes beneath belfry openings to north and south with returned hoodmoulds, small rectangular plaque to west above string with moulded surround and clock above; probably reused C14 west window with 3 cinquefoil-headed lights, intersecting tracery with cinquefoils, moulded reveals, and hoodmould with weathered carved stops. South aisle: chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses, and parapeted gable ends, that to west with carved head at foot; windows with 2 trefoiled ogee-headed lights, reticulated tracery with quatrefoils, moulded reveals and hood- moulds with carved stops; east window with 3 trefoiled ogee-headed lights, reticulated tracery with quatrefoils, moulded reveals, and hood- mould with carved stops; central south doorway with continuous quarter- round mouldings and probably late C14 door with ogee-headed panels, brattishing, pierced quatrefoils above, large wrought iron strap hinges, nails, keyplate and ring; gabled south porch off-centre to left: C14, altered probably in 1891; moulded red sandstone reveals, pair of C19 boarded doors with flanking paired leaded cinquefoil-headed side-lights, moulded cambered tie-beam, and boarded tympanum; interior with moulded cambered tie-beam, moulded wall-plates with run-out stops, collar and tie-beam truss roof with single purlins and chamfered windbraces. North aisle: diagonal buttresses, chamfered offset at cill level, chamfered eaves with corbels, and parapeted gable ends; windows with 2 cinquefoil- headed lights, sexfoils in tracery, chamfered reveals, and hoodmoulds; west end with chamfered rectangular window and small quatrefoiled square window in apex of gable. Chancel: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, coped parapeted gable ends with trefoil-gabled kneelers; windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoils and cinquefoils in tracery, chamfered reveals, and hoodmoulds with carved stops; central porch to south with chamfered plinth, roll-moulded corners, string half-way up parapeted gable, and entrance with roll-moulded Caernarvon arch and boarded door with wrought iron strap hinges; large east window of 5 trefoil-headed lights with Geometrical tracery consisting of cusped circles, chamfered reveals, and hoodmould with carved stops. Organ chamber and vestry: taller part to rear has rose window in gable to front with quatrefoil mouchettes in tracery and hoodmould; ground- floor windows in left-hand return front with paired trefoiled ogee- headed lights; lower block to front: chamfered plinth, diagonal buttress and gable to front; window with 2 trefoiled ogee-headed lights, quatrefoils in tracery, and hollow-chamfered reveals; left- hand return front with pairs of trefoiled ogee-headed lights and reset C13 archway to right with half-round moulded jambs and C19 boarded door. Interior: 4-bay aisle arcades, C13 to south with double chamfered arches and circular piers with moulded bases and capitals; set-back tower arch with triple chamfer dying into responds; 4-centred arched doorway to tower staircase; 2 steps up to double-chamfered C13 chancel arch with outer arch springing from imposts and inner arch springing from short half-round colonnettes with moulded bases and capitals; chancel south doorway with chamfered reveals, shallow trefoil-head arch with dogtooth ornament, and hood- mould with C17-style carving; chamfered organ chamber arch in chancel to north; north aisle has reused doorway to east with half-round moulding and three C19 blind trefoil-headed chamfered arches to right; 3-bay chancel roof with moulded arch-bracing to collars springing from short colonnettes resting on corbels, chamfered single purlins, ashlar pieces, moulded windbraces, and cusping in apexes;C19 double-framed nave and south aisle roofs with arch-braced collars; C19 north aisle roof with cambered tie-beams, king posts, and moulded and carved corbels; C14 piscina in south aisle with trefoiled nodding ogee, crockets and pinnacle, and square aumbry to right; chamfered rear arches to chancel windows. Fittings: C12 stone tub font with rosettes in beaded medallions and a foliage frieze above; reused C14 floor tiles in front of the communion rail; late C16 chancel screen moved to tower arch in 1843, of 3 bays with moulded rail and surround to top panels, openwork cresting and brattishing, central shaped-head doorway with moulded reveals and boarded door, and evidence of painted inscription at top of side panels; 7-sided wooden pulpit of 1633, 2 panels high with lozenge and arabesque decoration, carved frieze, and carved panelled back board; pews of 1891 incorporating some C17 fragments; C19 choir stalls and wrought iron and wooden altar rails; choir panelling of 1912, possibly incor- porating some C17 fragments. Stained glass: small C14 figure in east window of south aisle; east window of 1891, an early work by Kempe. Sculpture: carved head corbel in south wall, probably to carry an image. Wall painting: faded remains of doom painting above chancel arch. Monuments: good series of C18 tablets; in chancel, to Robert Cressett, died 5 May 1728 with set-back flanking pilasters, broken segmental pediemnt, urn and flaming lamps above and shield and skull below; to Barbara Cressett, died 16 July 1736 with panelled pilasters supporting Doric frieze and broken segmental pediment with shield in tympanum, skulls supporting base; to Dr Edward Cressett, Bishop of Llandaff, died 13 February 1755 with 3 putto heads below, cartouche above, and bishop's crozier and mitre flanking urn at top; to Sir William Fowler with standing putto in front of grey obelisk; in north aisle, to Sir William Fowler, died 28 March 1717, with console brackets, flanking set-back scrolls, and figure next to medallion of the deceased; in south aisle to John Dod, died 28 November 1774 with cornice breaking forward in centre with large urn and shield with swags above, and cherubs and crossed palms beneath; other C18 tablets, three C18 brass plaques, and C18 hatchment. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, Pp.69-72; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Vol.6, Pp.482-6; B.o.E., Pp.114-5; Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire, 1917.



Listing NGR: SJ5582204995

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 482-6
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 69-72
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 114-5
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1917)

National Grid Reference: SJ 55823 04996

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 05:44:46.