List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STONE GRANGE

List entry Number: 1055426

Location

STONE GRANGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityGrinshill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260023

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 5223-5323 GRINSHILL C.P. GRINSHILL

17/29 Stone Grange 28.10.60 - II*

School, now house. Dated 1631, but possibly slightly earlier, for Shrewsbury School, with mid-to-late C19 alterations and additions. Yellow/grey Grinshill sandstone ashlar; machine tile roof. 2 storeys and attic over basement to left. Chamfered plinth, moulded string course, parapeted gable ends with coping, and 2 gabled dormers to front with 2-light wooden casements. 4 integral stone corner stacks with C19 cornices and shafts and central lateral stone stack at rear. Double-chamfered stone mullioned and transomed windows, first floor of 3:2:3:2:3 lights and ground floor of 4:4:2:4 lights; 2 blocked 2-light basement windows to left. C19 stone porches between first and second and third and fourth windows, that to right larger; each with boarded door, flanking Doric pilaster strips supporting sections of frieze and full cornice, parapet (battlemented to sides) with globe finials at corners and stepped raised centre with gabled top, and chamfered lancets in returns; left-hand porch with carved shield dated : "AD/1631" above the door and right-hand with carved shield too. Nail-studded boarded doors behind porch with chamfered reveals, that to left probably C17 with strap hinges and blocked overlight. Right-hand return front: pairs of first-floor and attic 4-light windows, those on first floor with dripmoulds, and 2 ground-floor 3-light windows. Left-hand return front: pairs of first-floor and attic 4-light windows, those on first floor with dripmoulds; 2 ground-floor 3-light windows flanking small central one-light window, with string course stepped-up over all 3 as hoodmould; 3 blocked basement windows. Rear: 4 first-floor 3-light windows, ground-floor cross window off-centre to left and former 3- light window off-centre to right cut down in late C20 to form French casements with string course stepped up over as hoodmould. Later gabled service wing to south-west. Interior: heavily-built ceiling frames with large chamfered and stopped beams . Mutilated C17 chamfered Tudor-arched stone fireplace in right-hand ground-floor room at rear and C17 fireplace with chamfered reveals and moulded lintel in left-hand ground-floor rear room. Heavily-built square-panelled timber framed internal partition walls;blocked doorway between left-hand ground-floor corridor and left-hand room and chamfered doorway in left-hand rear bedroom. 7-bay roof; collar and tie-beam trusses with raking struts; pairs of purlins with wind braces. Stone Grange was bought or built by Shrewsbury School in 1617 as a refuge from the plague. The justification for the 1631 date on one of the C19 porches is not known but part of the school buildings in Shrewsbury date from 1627-30. Possibly the land was bought in 1617 and the present building erected a few years later. The present C19 porches possibly mark the former division between masters and pupils; each door leads onto a corridor to either side of a central hall with smaller rooms to the outside. Apart from the porches the late C19 alterations also entailed some refenestration including the enlargement of the outer ground-floor windows from small high-up 2- light casements (C19 windows cut through C17 plinth), and the insertion of the second first-floor window from the right with the blocking of a former mezzanine staircase window below it. A late C18 or early C19 print (a copy is kept in the house at time of survey - December 1985) shows the former arrangement. There is much schoolboy carved graffiti on the left- hand gable end wall including the date "1886" and some that appears earlier. (illegible at time of survey).

Listing NGR: SJ5252023385

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 52520 23385

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 01:29:06.