List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN

List entry Number: 1055352

Location

CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityCheswardine

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260150

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESWARDINE C.P. CHESWARDINE SJ 7029-7129 12/3 Church of Saint 10.2.59 Swithun

GV II*

Parish Church. Relocated C13 north chapel and late C15 tower. The rest of 1888-9 by J.L. Pearson at the expense of Mr. C. Donaldson-Hudson M.P. and incorporating some C13 work in the arcades. Possibly dressed red sandstone and red sandstone ashlar; plain tile roofs. 4-bay nave and aisles with south porch, 2-bay chancel with south vestry and organ chamber, 3-bay north chapel, and west tower. 1888-9 work in a free Early Decorated Gothic style. Tower: 3 stages. Chamfered plinth, chamfered offsets with stone carvings including a Staffordshire knot and a Talbot dog, and diagonal buttresses with chamfered offsets and carvings of dragon and lion at bases to north-east and south-east. Quatrefoil freize beneath moulded parapet string with carvings and gargoyles, chamfered battlemented parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles, and weathervane. Louvred belfry openings of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with Y-tracery, double chamfered reveals and hoodmoulds with carved stops. Small trefoil-headed rectanqular second- stage windows. Large west window of 4 trefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, chamfered reveals, hoodmould with carved stops, and flanking canopied niches, that to left with carved head in wall beneath. West doorway with continuously moulded arch, hoodmould with 2 carved heads, square head, and quatrefoil frieze above; pair of C19 nail-studded boarded doors with strap hinges. Clock in second stage to south. Nave and aisles: nave has parapeted gable end to east with finial and trefoil-gabled kneelers; lancet clerestory windows with hoodmoulds. Each aisle with double-chamfered plinth, string course and cill string moulded cornice and parapet with chamfered coping. Angle buttresses with chamfered offsets and cinquefoil- gabled tops. Windows of 4 trefoil-headed lights with Geometrical tracery, moulded reveals and continuous hoodmould. Western return of south aisle with 2-light window and western return of north aisle with 4-light window. South- east doorway with nook shafts, moulded arch with one order of shafts, and hoodmould with carved stops. Pair of nail-studded boarded doors with strap hinges. Gabled timber framed porch on chamfered sandstone plinth; moulded-arched entrance with carved spandrels, panelled sides, panelled gable and carved bargeboards; 3 + 3 sides with chamfered ogee trefoiled lights and intersecting tracery. Interior of porch with stone side benches and 2- bay roof with moulded tie beams and 2 tiers of double-cusped wind braces. Square staircase tower at east end of north aisle with moulded cornice, chamfered parapet, 3 small rectangular windows and nail-studded boarded door. Chancel: chamfered plinth, string course, cill string (stepped down to buttresses at east end), gabled angle buttresses with chamfered offsets, low central buttress to east and parapeted gable end with finial. Clerestory windows consisting of stepped triple-chamfered lancets under round arch with string course carried over as hoodmould. East end consists of stepped triple-chamfered lancets each with hoodmould, and small chamfered lancet in apex of gable. Vestry and organ chamber vestry to right with chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, moulded cill string, parapet string and parapet with chamfered coping. Window off-centre to left of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with Y-tracery, chamfered reveals, and hoodmould with carved stops. Nail-studded boarded door to far left with continuously moulded arch and string course carried over as hoodmould. Pair of lancets in right-hand return front. Tall organ chamber to left with pair of large flanking gabled buttresses, pair of low chamfered lancets and hexafoiled rose window in gable. Integrallateral stack to right. North chapel: angle buttresses with chamfered offsets. Old parapeted gable ends with moulded copings and finials at apices (cross to east). Triple chamfered lancets. East end with 5 stepped chamfered lancets. Interior: rich mainly C19 details and fittings 4-bay nave arcades consisting of circular piers with moulded bases and carved foliage capitals, and double chamfered arches pointed to north and round to south. Clerestory with cill string and chamfered rear arches. Roof with moulded tie beams, moulded arch-braced collars, collar purlin and trussed rafters. Aisles with cill string,carried over doors as hoodmoulds, and chamfered rear arches. Lean-to aisle roofs have round- arched trusses with pierced spandrels and carved stone corbels. Pair of north doors, one to stair turret. Moulded C15 tower arch with chamfered bases and capitals. Boarded door to stair turret. Multi-shafted chancel arch with moulded bases and carved foliage caps, chamfered arch with dogtooth ornament and hoodmould also with dogtooth ornament. Chancel with 3-bay north arcade, circular piers with shafts, moulded bases and carved foliage caps, moulded arches with dogtooth ornament. Clerestory consisting of round rear arches alternating with blind pointed arches; shafts with moulded bases and capitals, and cill string. East end with cill string; lancets with moulded rear arches, dogtooth ornament and nook shafts with moulded bases and capitals. Piscina to south-east with chamfered tre- foiled arch, dogtooth ornament and hoodmould with carved stops. C15 north chapel roof with moulded cambered tie beams on brackets, quatrefoil panels, and moulded fibs with carved heraldic bosses. C19 ,aechway north aisle consisting of triple-shafted piers with moulded bases and capitals,and moulded arch. Organ chamber has pair of chamfered transverse arches on half-round piers. Vestry with small stone fireplace , window seat and chamfered square ambry with boarded doors. Fittings: some possibly by Pearson, including: panelled wooden altar. Stone reredos with marble top. Painted and carved wooden triptych. Wooden screen with cinquefoil-headed lights. Brass altar rails. Plain choir stalls. Low sanctuary wall incorporating integral polygonal stone pulpit with quatefoil panels. Brass lectern. Marble font dated 1889 with hemispherical bowl, central stem with clustered shafts, and step with carved inscription (largely illegible at time of survey - March 1986). Two C18 coats of arms, one carved wood and one painted on canvas. Former sanctus bell in north chapel. Probably C17 parish chest with 3 locks. C18 paintings of Moses and Aaron beneath tower. Medieval floor tiles set in frame in north aisle. Monuments: C13 or C14 carved foliated stone coffin lid in north aisle. Cranage records four C17 brasses on the floor at the east end of the nave. Stained glass: early glass by Kempe dating from 1892 to 1899. There are drawing and photographs of the church before and after the restoration in the south aisle. This church is notable not only for its medieval parts but also for the quality and originality of the C19 work. B.O.E., pp 96-7; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, pp 669-673; Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1900), pp. 53-4.

Listing NGR: SJ7192929907

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 669-673
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 96-7
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1900), 53-4

National Grid Reference: SJ 71929 29907

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 07:53:39.