List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1055265

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityLeighton and Eaton Constantine

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 258874

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEIGHTON AND EATON LEIGHTON SJ 60 NW CONSTANTINE C.P. 2/89 Church of St Mary 13.6.58 GV II*

Parish church. 1714-16 but incorporating medieval plan and fabric, restored mid- to late C19. C18 red brick on coursed sandstone plinth (probably medieval), plain tile roofs with coped verges. Nave, chancel, west belfry, south porch and south-west vestry. Nave: in 2 bays; south side has one late C19 two-light trefoil-headed window with cusped multifoils and trefoils above, C18 gabled porch and contemporary gabled vestry adjoining to west have round-headed doorways (blind to vestry) and pointed cast-iron windows to sides; north side has 2 round-headed windows (c.1714), western with its original Y-tracery; tall narrow multi-paned round-headed west window has similar small opening above; weatherboarded belfry probably late C18 but considerably restored late C20, has twin round-headed openings (?C19) to north, south and west sides, pyramidal roof. Chancel: one late C19 narrow round-headed window on south with blocked segmental-headed C18 doorway to west; late C19 east window of 3 stepped round-headed lights with narrow round-arched window above; north wall blind. Interior: most striking feature is that the walls are of uncoursed sandstone rubble showing that the C18 brick on exterior is in fact only the encasement of a medieval fabric; cambered south doorway with ledged plank door, C18 coved plaster ceiling; west gallery (also c.1714), supported on wooden posts, has elegant turned balusters; plain round-headed chancel arch flanked by C18 hatchment to south and royal coat-of-arms to north; late C18 urn-shaped font on moulded stone pillar, contemporary hexagonal pulpit and late C19 stained glass in east window, restored C17 communion table. Monuments: in nave; cast-iron floor tablet to William Browne (died 1696) and another (dated 1677) with inscription panels removed; in chancel (south side), late C13 cross-legged stone effigy of knight, probably a member of the Leighton family, retaining traces of paint and with feet resting on a lion; north side, large alabaster tomb chest with incised top slab to William Leighton (died 1520) and wife; large C18 wall memorials to members of the Kynnersley and Leighton families that to Elizabeth Leighton (died 1754) by William Baker; in the centre of the north wall a prominent memorial to Thomas Kynnersley (died 1843), substantial pedestal with coat-of-arms and Greek key ornament to top, surmounted by draped urn, signed by J. Evan Thomas; another mid-C18 wall memorial to south of chancel arch in nave; C18 stone texts (one reciting Ten Commandments) hang on nave north and south walls and in the porch is a wooden board recording benefactions to the church; slab on north wall of nave commemorating Henry Binnell, vicar (died 1717), formerly below east window outside. A priest is recorded at Leighton in Domesday. B.o.E., p.165; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 7 (1905), Pp.596-7 and Appendix Pp.995-6; Colvin, p.84.

Listing NGR: SJ6128105144

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 84
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 596-7
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 995-6
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 165

National Grid Reference: SJ 61281 05144

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 04:03:37.