List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1055258

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityKenley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 258849

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KENLEY C.P. KENLEY SJ 50 SE 4/66 Church of St. John 13.6.58 the Baptist GV II*

Parish church. C12 and C14, restored c. 1854. Roughly coursed gritstone rubble, machine tile roofs. Nave and chancel in one, west tower and south porch. Tower: probably C12; squat in 2 stages with later pyramidal roof; rectangular chamfered openings to second stage on north, south and west and plain rectangular openings to bottom stage on south and west. Long nave and chancel in one; 3 mid-C19 windows with Y-tracery on south and 2 on north, all in slight recesses; north wall also has square-headed blocked doorway to chancel and an infilled round-arched doorway (probably C12), cut by western of two C19 windows; small blocked rectangular window to chancel on south; C14 east window of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil and mouchettes above; gabled south porch with round-arched doorway probably C17. Interior: round-arched single-chamfered south doorway has nail- studded plank and muntin door (probably C17); narrow doorway to tower is pointed on east with 2 chamfered orders ending in small broaches and square-headed on west (door with long strap hinges); main feature is late C14 arch-braced collar beam roof, the 3 eastern trusses (to chancel) with cusped struts from collars forming quatrefoils, double purlins and cusped windbraces; the 2 eastern trusses to nave are boxed in (without struts to collars) and the western truss consists of a tie beam with raking struts supporting principal rafter; fine carved C17 pulpit has tester with pendant knobs, reading desk below made up of contemporary panels; hexagonal font 1875. No monumentsof note. The church is said to have been a dependent chapelry of Cound (q.v. under Church of St. Peter, Cound C.P.) in the medieval period and is stituated in an originally oval-shaped churchyard (q.v. under churchyard wall), suggestive of an early origin. B.O.E. p.159; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 (1903) pp. 493-4; The Post Office Directory of Shropshire (1879) (ed. E. R. Kelly) p.336.

Listing NGR: SJ5627900795

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 493-4
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)
'Post Office Directory' in Post Office Directory of Shropshire, (1879), 336

National Grid Reference: SJ 56279 00795

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 11:32:12.