List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1055242

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityAlberbury with Cardeston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 258917

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3514 ALBERBURY WITH ALBERBURY CARDESTON C.P. 12/12 Church of St Michael 13.6.58 and All Angels (formerly listed as Church of St Michael and All Angels and Fitzwarine Tower)

GV II*

Parish church. Nave probably C13, tower probably late C12 and c.1300, and south aisle (Loton Chapel) of c.1320-30; chancel largely rebuilt in 1845-6, west and south-west walls of nave rebuilt in 1846-7; whole restored by Mr Lloyd Oswell of Shrewsbury in 1902-3. Squared and coursed red sandstone with red sandstone dressings, tower of coursed Alberbury breccia with red sandstone dressings; chancel and west wall of nave of snecked dressed red sandstone and south-west wall of nave of red sandstone ashlar; plain tile roofs. Nave, 4-bay chancel (in a lancet style), 3-bay south aisle (Loton Chapel), tower to north of nave and vestry to north of chancel. Tower: 4 stage; chamfered plinth, 2 string courses to first and second stages, clasping buttreses to top of second stage, and central pilaster buttress to north up to the bottom of the second stage; parapet to north with chamfered coping and central gargoyle, and saddleback roof with weathervane and parapeted gables with miniature gabled lucarnes and gabled finials; top stage has 2-light openings in gables with altered Y-tracery and chamfered reveals; belfry openings with 2 trefoil-headed lights, Y-tracery, and double-chamfered reveals; chamfered lancets and dormer stage, cinquefoil-headed to second stage; arched doorway to east has C19 nail-studded boarded door with strap hinges; clock below belfry opening to east. Nave: chamfered and moulded plinth, buttresses with chamfered offsets; diagonal flying buttress to south-west with triple chamfered segmental ribs and 2 offsets, and parapeted gable end to west with shaped and gabled kneelers, miniature lucarnes and cross at apex; south side: central C19 window with 2 trefoil-headed lights, quatrefoiled- circle in tracery, chamfered reveals, and hoodmould with curved foliage stops, and dated;"AD/1847", C19 entrance to right has 2 orders of shafts with moulded bases and capitals, moulded arch, hoodmould with uncarved circular stops, and C19 nail-studded boarded door with elaborate strap hinges; west end: buttresses flanking C19 five-light window with intersecting tracery, 7-part rose window in apex, chamfered and moulded reveals, and hoodmould; C19 vesicashaped window in apex of gable with flowing tracery; north side: 4 unevenly-spaced bays, 2 central C19 three- light windows with intersecting tracery and double-chamfered reveals; C19 left-hand window with 2 trefoil-headed lights, quatrefoiled circle in tracery at apex, double-chamfered reveals, and hoodmould with carved stops; blocked north door to right has moulded arch and broach stops but no capitals, and 2 probably reset carved heads flanking arch at apex level in wall above. Loton Chapel: rainwater head dated:"A.P/1836"; double cavetto-moulded plinth and buttresses with chamfered offset trefoil-panelled gablets with carved heads, diagonal buttresses at corners; parapeted gable ends with trefoil-panelled gabled kneelers, miniature lucarnes, and cross at apexes; central 3-light window with intersecting tracery and chamfered reveals; right-hand window with 3 trefoil-headed lights, that in centre depresed, radial Decorated tracery with much cusping, moulded reveals, and hoodmould with carved stops; moulded-arched doorway to left with hoodmould and carved stops, and nail-studded boarded door; large blocked east window (blocked by 1789) with moulded reveals, and hoodmould with carved stops; niche in gable above with cinquefoiled gabled head and hoodmould with carved stops; convex-sided triangular west window high up with cusped tracery including a concave triangle, and moulded reveals,moulded ledge and 2 brackets below to left. Chancel: moulded plinth, buttresses with chamfered offsets, angle buttresses to east, chamfered eaves, and parapeted gable end to east with chamfered kneelers and cross at apex; chamfered lancets; east end has central buttress with pair of flanking round-arched lancets, and circular window in gable above with keyed moulded surround. Vestry: square plan; parapeted gables with chamfered coping, and stack on apex to front with trefoil-gabled opening to each face; cinquefoil-headed lancet to north with chamfered reveals; short link to chancel has chamfered lancet to east and chamfered Caernavon-arched boarded doorway to west. Interior: 3-bay Loton Chapel arcade has quatrefoil section piers with moulded bases and capitals, double chamfered arches, and hoodmoulds; C14 chancel arch with double chamfer dying into responds; nave roof: 2:1:5:1 bays, east to west, with moulded arch-braced collars and v-struts, 4 moulded purlins each side with cusped windbraces forming 5 tiers of quatrefoil panels; no windbraces to 2 western bays, and hammerbeam truss to east; 4-bay chancel roof of double hammerbeam type with cusped v-struts, and quatrefoil panels between purlins; 4-bay roof to Loton Chapel has chamfered arch-braced collars with moulded'bosses' in centre, and 2 pairs of purlins with windbraces; late C19 embellishments include carved frieze with fleurons, tie-beams with carved brackets resting on angels with pendants; chancel with double-chamfered arched vestry doorway and aumbry with chamfered Caernarvon arch, and chamfered window reveals; north wall of nave set back to tower with 2 stone corbels to support roof; image brackets, in north wall between first and second windows from west, to right of chancel arch, and to left of arcade; chapel with hoodmould of blocked east window, trefoiled ogee-headed arched piscina with bowl, and cinquefoiled moulded-arched tomb recess with ballflower ornament. Fittings: late C19 wooden reredos against east wall with 2 round arches flanking taller pointed arch,triple shafts with moulded bases and capitals, dogtooth decoration, and centre arch of 2 lights with Geometrical-style tracery; walls and window reveals with painted patterns and inscriptions, other chancel windows with painted inscriptions on soffits ; late C19 communion rails, trefoil-arched with circular columns; C19 choir stalls; octagonal stone pulpit of 1883, presented by Lady Charlotte Lyster with carved square panels depicting lamb and flag, flowers, angel, pelican etc., carved foliage trail frieze, moulded cornice, and square base; c.1883 octagonal stone font with 2 steps to moulded base, shafts, panels with trefoils in circles, and quatrefoil frieze; reused C17 panelling (possibly from former pews) in nave pews of 1871, wainscot panelling, and organ screen at west end; Gothic pews dated 1840 formerly in the Loton Chapel were not evident at time of survey (June 1985); C17 chest; late C19 panelling in chapel with embossed brass (?) Leighton memorial plaques. Stained glass: fragments of C14 stained glass in south windows of Loton Chapel; chancel glass of 1853; fine memorial window in Loton chapel to Sir Balwin Leighton (d.1897) by Mrs Sotheby [who also designed the war memorial (qv)]in the style of The Studio. 3 hatchments in nave and 4 in chancel. Monuments: large collection of mainly late C18 and early C19 tablets; especially fine those to Richard Lyster (d.1691) of Rowton, baroque with putti flanking inscription (removed from old St Chad's Church, Shrewsbury in 1788); to Dorothy Leighton (d.1688) of Wattlesborough with swagged panel; Sir Richard Lyster (d.1766) of Rowton, rococco memorial by Van der Hagen with putti flanking urn; tablet to Richard Lyster (d.1807) with mourning female figure by tomb; 2 mid-C19 brass plates in chapel. There has been a church on the site since at least 1020, originally collegiate but becoming parochial in the C13 and subject to Alberbury Priory[White Abbey (qv)]. The church stands close to the remains of Alberbury Castle (qv). V.C.H., Vol VIII, pp. 217-19; B.O.E., pp. 53-4; D. H. S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, part 6, pp. 517-23; Kelly's Directory of Shropshire, p. 19; County S.M.R,, No. 1318 5/6.

Listing NGR: SJ3586214443

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Cranage, DHS - Title: An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire - Date: 1908 - Volume: 6 - Page References: 517-23
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Kelly's Directory - Journal Title: Kelly's Directory - Page References: 19
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire - Date: 1908 - Volume: 8 - Page References: 217-9
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 53-4

National Grid Reference: SJ 35862 14443

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 11:21:41.