List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ALMSHOUSES, AND ADJOINING FORECOURT AND GARDEN WALLS

List entry Number: 1055129

Location

THE ALMSHOUSES, AND ADJOINING FORECOURT AND GARDEN WALLS, 1-14, BERWICK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityPimhill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Nov-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259142

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOMERE HEATH C.P. BERWICK ROAD (west SJ 41 SE side) SJ 4748 1477 10/81 Nos. 1-14 (consec.), 29.1.52 The Almshouses, and adjoining forecourt and garden walls (formerly listed as Berwick Almshouses)

GV II*

Row of almshouses and adjoining walls. Dated 1672, built at the expense of Sir Samuel Jones. Red brick with plain tile roofs. U-plan around square courtyard with enclosing wall to south. One storey and attic. Moulded brick string courses above ground-floor windows, parapeted gable ends, large full brick gabled eaves dormers with segmental-headed 2-light wooden casements, and integral brick lateral stacks to rear with pitched- roofed links to attics and paired diagonally-placed square shafts. Seg- mental-headed 2-light wooden casements and mainly segmental-headed boarded doors. North range of 11 windows with door between first and second windows from left and 2 to right, one early C19 with 6 flush panels and 3-part rectangular overlight; 6 dormers and 2 stacks. The fourth, fifth, eighth and ninth windows from the left were formerly doorways (see straight joints beneath). West range of 9 windows with door between fourth and fifth windows from left; 5 dormers and 3 stacks. The first, fourth, seventh and eighth windows from the left were formerly doorways (see straight joints beneath). East range of 9 windows, with door between fourth and fifth windows from right. 5 dormers and 4 stacks. The first, fourth, seventh and eighth windows from right were formerly doorways (see straight joints beneath). Gable ends to front with segmental-headed 2-light wooden casements, cross windows to ground floor (left-hand ground-floor window blocked but frame survives). Red brick enclosing wall to south (right- hand part looks partially rebuilt in mid-C20) with chamfered grey sandstone coping. Central grey sandstone ashlar gateway with chamfered rustication, ovolo-moulded elliptical archway with rusticated voussoirs and moulded imposts, frieze and moulded cornice, and large semi-circular pediment with globe finial and carved coat of arms in tympanum. Ashlar flanking walls with chamfered coping, stepped up to gateway with carved scrolls. Inscription to frieze largely illegible at time of survey (January 1987). C17 brick walls enclosing gardens at rear, with stepped grey sandstone coping. The almshouses were founded by Sir Samuel Jones in 1670 for 16 old people, each receiving £10 a year. The inscription on the gateway, largely illegible at the time of survey is known to read: "These Almshouses and Chappel were Given / and Endow'd by Sr Samuel Jones Knight / Anno Domini 1672". The almshouses and chapel (q.v.) stand in the parkland around Berwick House (q.v.). B.o.E., p. 74, D.H.S. Cranage, An Architect- ural Account of the Churches of Shropshire. (Shrewsbury Volume), p. 847; Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1900), p. 130.

Listing NGR: SJ4750414764

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 847
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 74
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1900), 130

National Grid Reference: SJ 47487 14778

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 08:12:59.