List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TERN BRIDGE (THAT PART IN ATCHAM C.P)

List entry Number: 1055124

Location

TERN BRIDGE (THAT PART IN ATCHAM C.P), A5

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityAtcham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259232

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 50 NE ATCHAM C.P. A5

6/7 Tern Bridge (that part in 29.1.52 Atcham C.P.)

GV II*

Road bridge. Dated 1780 and signed by William Hayward, but also attributed to Robert Mylne of 1774; widened to the south in 1932. Grey sandstone ashlar. Single wide segmental arch with banded rusticated soffit and voussoirs with triple keystone consisting of fluted keys flanking central carved face; abutments with rusticated Tuscan half-columns flanking arched niches; continuous frieze, cornice, and balustraded parapet, breaking forward over abutments; curved retaining walls with square end piers and battered buttresses. Secondary retaining walls also added circa 1932. Lugged half-H panel in centre of parapet inscribed: "THIS BRIDGE/was erected at the Expense of the County/A.D. MDCCLXXX/ and decorated at the Expense of/Noel Hill Esq/WILLIAM HAYWARD ARCHITECT"; smaller plates record that the bridge was: "WIDENED 1932 BY/THE REINFORCED CONCRETE/CONSTRUCTION CO LTD/OLD TRAFFORD MANCHESTER". In his Red Book of 1797-88 Humphry Repton suggested making the bridge more monumental, which appears to have involved adding an arch to the east, but this was not carried out. H.M. Colvin refers to an inscription on the central (sic) arch recording that the bridge was "the last Edifice erected by that ingenious Architect William Hayward" but his was not visible at time of survey (January 1985). Pevsner (B.o.E.) however attributes the design to Robert Mylne (1733-1811). Comparison with the small bridge in Attingham Park (q.v.) which is attributed to Hayward suggests that the more elegant and sophisticated Tern Bridge is by Mylne but construction may have been supervised by Hayward. B.o.E., Pp.66-7; Colvin, p.410 and Pp.571-77; Attingham Park, The National Trust (1981), p.24 and p.33; John L. Hobbs, The Hayward Family of Whitchurch, The Shropshire Magazine Vol.II (1960), p.21.



Listing NGR: SJ5525009312

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cornforth, J et al, Attingham Park, (1981), 24, 33
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)
'The Shropshire Magazine' in The Shropshire Magazine, , Vol. 2, (1960), 21

National Grid Reference: SJ 55250 09312

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 06:36:32.