List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT MARTIN

List entry Number: 1055114

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT MARTIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityLittle Ness

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259200

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE NESS C.P. LITTLE NESS SJ 41 NW 5/135 Church of Saint Martin 27.5.53 - II*

Chapel of ease. Late C12 with C15 or early C16 alterations. Restored and porch and vestry added in 1878. Dressed red sandstone with ashlar dressings. Machine tile roof. Nave and chancel in one with south porch and north vestry. Battered plinth to east and west and parapeted gable ends with plain copings. Integral gabled ashlar bellcote to west with 2 trefoiled ogee openings, pilasters to sides with gables above, and cross at apex. South side: 2 identical windows, C15 or C16 to left and c.1878 to right; 3 cinquefoil-hooded lights with panelled tracery, moulded reveals and straight-sided arched heads. Restored round-arched south doorway to left consisting of one order of shafts with scalloped capitals, chevron ornament to outer arch and hoodmould with carved head above; C19 nail-studded boarded door. Gabled timber framed porch with chamfered stone plinth, cinquefoil arched entrance, brackets supporting wall plates and trefoil-headed side lights. Open truss inside. North side: buttress to centre with chamfered offsets. C19 window to right, of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, moulded reveals and straight-sided arch. East end: window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights (the centre ogee) with panelled tracery, moulded reveals and hoodmould with carved heads as stops. West end: C19 double-chamfered lancet with hoodmould. Vestry: chamfered plinth, lean-to roof and integral lateral stone stack with chamfered offsets and cornice to chamfered cap. Square window to front of 2 trefoil-headed lights with hollow-chamfered reveals, window to east of 3 trefoil-headed lights with steps down to chamfered-arched crypt doorway below, and chamfered-arched doorway to west with double-chamfered reveals, moulded arch, hoodmould with lozenge- shaped stops, and boarded door with strap hinges. Interior: probably C17 four-bay roof with moulded wooden wall plate. Arched-braced collar trusses with continuous slightly-ogee chamfer. Second truss from west with C19 cusping, and hammerbeams with cusped brackets. Third truss from west with billet-ornamented tie-beam, collar, struts and painted wooden rood of 1927 with canopy. Collar trusses against east and west walls. 3 moulded purlins to each side. All windows (except for east window) with chamfered rear arches. North doorway to vestry with chamfered arch, hoodmould with lozenge-shaped stops, and boarded door with strap hinges. Blocked C12 round-arched doorway or window to left (see straight joints). Fittings: early C16 German triptych set in late C19 carved wooden frames. C17 or late C19 later seventeenth-century style altar rails with large turned balusters and moulded handrail. Late C19 eagle lectern. Late C19 Jacobean-style polygonal wooden pulpit with carved panels. Late C19 wooden pews. C12 circular red sandstone pulpit with rope moulding dividing tapered bowl and base, and C19 iron-bound wooden cover. Pair of C18 brass chandeliers in chancel. Reset medieval floor tiles in sanctuary and porch. Some fragments of C15 stained glass in north window and C19 stained glass in other windows. Saint Martin's has always been chapelry of Baschurch. There is a motte (County A.M. number 1100) to the south-east of the church. B.o.E., p. 169; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 9, pp.772-3; Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1900), p. 156; P.A. Parott, Little Ness. The Story of a Shropshire Parish (1935), pp.48-9.

Listing NGR: SJ4075319893

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 772-773
Parott, P A, Little Ness The Story of a Shropshire Parish, (1935), 48-49
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 169
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1900), 156

National Grid Reference: SJ 40753 19893

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 03:59:06.