List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ATTINGHAM PARK

List entry Number: 1055094

Location

ATTINGHAM PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityAtcham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259253

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 50 NW and SJ 50 NE ATCHAM C.P. ATTINGHAM PARK

5/28 and 6/28 Attingham Park 29.1.52

GV I

Mansion. 1783-5, by George Steuart for the first Lord Berwick; internal alterations of 1805-7 by John Nash. Grey Grinshill sandstone ashlar with some red brick at rear; hipped slate roofs. Central U-shaped block with curved colonnaded wings to set-back flanking pavilions. Main block: basement and 3 storeys. Basement with chanelled rustication and moulded top, moulded band linking ground-floor windows, first-floor cill band, moulded second-floor cill band, moulded cornice with blocking course above, and 8 symmetrically placed ridge stacks with moulded cornices. 11 bays, 4:3:4 rhythm; glazing bar sashes; round-arched basement windows; each ground-floor window with small wrought iron balcony, moulded architrave, frieze and cornice; recessed blank rectangular panels above central 3 ground- and first-floor windows. Central tetrastyle Ionic portico with attenuated unfluted columns, on panelled and moulded plinth, and supporting entablature with triangular pediment and panelled soffit with decorative moulded plasterwork. Wrought iron balustrade to plinth and curved flanking staircases with spearhead railings, oval paterae, and curtail steps with wreathed handrails and columnular newels; central half- glazed door with 2 lower flush panels and 6-part overlight. Lead downpipes with moulded semi-circular rainwater heads between second and third and ninth and tenth bays. Return fronts: 6 bays; 2:2:2 rhythm; paired pilasters supporting short sections of entablature flanking centre 2 bays; central lead downpipe. Rear: flanking wings with full-height canted bays; recessed centre has projecting circa 1807 circular stair tower with arcaded ground-floor porch and door with 6 flush panels under radial fan- light, imposts and keyed surround; full-height circular service stair- tower in angle to left. Wings and pavilions: 12-bay colonnades with quadrant link to house. Moulded plinth, unfluted Ionic columns supporting entablature with moulded cornice, and panelled parapet; balustraded parapet at rear onto inner service courtyard behind house. Wrought iron balustrade, steps up in each end bay, pilasters on rear wall, blind windows in rear wall onto inner courtyard; blocked end bays adjoining house on each side with single glazing bar sash and 6-panelled door onto colonnade; pair of 2-panelled doors into pavilions; soffits with oval plaster Paterae. 2- storey pavilions, each with moulded plinth, first-floor cill band, Ionic pilasters supporting entablature with moulded cornice, and interrupted balustraded parapet; hipped roof and pair of ridge stacks with moulded cornices. 4 bays; glazing bar sashes. 3-bay outside return fronts; central bay slightly recessed and outer bays have recessed blind round- arches, that towards front with blind window and blind lunette above, and that to rear with blind lunette; inner return fronts have recessed blind round arches with blind lunettes in bay to rear and central porch with moulded cornice and blocking course, blind doorway to courtyard with lunette, and that to north-east pavilion with 6-panelled door to rear. Rears of pavilions of 3 bays; south-west pavilion with red brick ground floor and pair of central half-glazed doors. Interior: symmetrical arrangement of largely masculine apartments to the left of the entrance hall- and largely feminine to the right; by George Steuart alterations by Nash include blocking the former entrance-hall screen, creating a top-lit picture gallery behind, and a new staircase beyond. Entrance hall: 3 x 3 bays; scagliola Ionic pilasters 3/4 and columns to former screen, supporting guilloche- ornamented frieze and dentil cornice; panelled enriched plaster ceiling; inlaid marble chimney-piece set in a blind arch on the north-east wall; pairs of 3-panelled doors with doorcases consisting of moulded architraves, and console brackets supporting moulded cornices; marbled walls and grisaille panels of circa 1807 by Nash; service stair to basement against south-west wall also by Nash. Picture gallery: 1807, by Nash; screen of 2 Corinthian columns at each end; guilloche band above plinth and over doorways, fluted frieze and dentil cornice; coved toplight to central space with curved cast iron ribs from Coalbrookdale, reputedly the earliest use of curved cast iron ribs to support window frames; central flat part of ceiling with guilloche boarder; rare chamber organ of 1796 by Samuel Green. Staircase: circa 1807 by Nash; circular well with reeded walls; single flight to landing and 2 curved flights up to first floor; inlaid risers, wrought iron scrolled balustrade, wreathed curtails with columnular newels and inlaid ramped handrail. Right-hand suite of rooms begins with the Drawing Room: moulded plaster wall panels, enriched plaster frieze and moulded cornice, painted and gilded enriched plaster ceiling consisting of wide bands with wreaths, and remaining space with swags, arabesques - and further vine-leaf wreaths, and pairs of sphinxes at ends flanking lamps; chimney-piece by John Deval the younger has pairs of Corinthian columns, oval panels in frieze above and central marble relief panel. The small Drawing Room or Sultana Room: guilloche-ornamented dado rail; large segmental-arched recess in one wall with delicately painted spandrels and flanked by attenuated paired Corinthian half-columns; enriched frieze and moulded cornice; delicate enriched plaster ceiling with painted roundels. East Anteroom: fluted frieze with triglyphs and paterae; segmental vault; French painted wallpaper of circa 1815. Lady Berwick's Boudoir: circular room; attached Corinthian columns supporting frieze with palmette ornament and moulded cornice; dome with husk-ornamented bands and segments with plaster wreaths and flaming lamps; wall panels and 6-panelled doors (some only to cupboards) with delicate painted arabesques and painted roundels; fireplace probably by John Deval of 1785 with ornamented frieze, console brackets supporting cornice, and central roundel above with marble relief. Left-hand suite of rooms begins with Dining Room: wall panels with inlaid guilloche-ornamented borders; rich plaster frieze and cornice; enriched plaster ceiling consisting of wide bands with wheat-ear decoration, wreaths of vine leaves, and circular plaques in relief; doorcases with console brackets supporting moulded cornices; chimney-piece probably by John Deval consisting of paired Ionic columns and ornamented frieze with central relief panel; English carpet of circa 1800. Library: austerely decorated with palmette and urn frieze, and moulded cornice. West Anteroom or Anti- Library: enriched plaster frieze and moulded cornice. Lord Berwick's Study or The Octagon Room: octagonal plan; unfluted pilasters with acanthus capitals; enriched plaster frieze, moulded cornice with guilloche; ornament on soffit; dome with plaster arabesque enrichment and putti; book cupboards with flanking paired pilasters supporting frieze and cornice, and diamond-leaded doors; inlaid chimney-piece. Ground floor east passage: groin vaulted with guilloche-ornamented bands. South-west pavilion contains Outer Library: giant order of Corinthian pilasters supporting enriched plaster frieze and cornice; panelled enriched plaster ceiling; bookcases with grisaille panels above (library not inspected at time of resurvey). First-floor rooms contain moulded cornices and Neo-classical fireplaces, one room contains pilasters. The house was built immediately in front of the early C18 Tern Hall, now largely demolished. Steuart's original scheme was to have had an entrance hall, much as built, leading into a domed circular staircase hall with an axial corridor leading in turn to a 2-storey library occupying the centre of the old Tern Hall. Initially as built a screen of coupled columns divided the entrance hall from a more modest staircase hall and Tern Hall was used as offices or servants' accommodation. Nothing survives of this arrangement as the screen was blocked by Nash in 1807 when the picture gallery and new staircase were built. The house contains Steuart's original plans and drawings, including those showing the alternative scheme for the staircase and library; there is also a water colour by Augustus Charles Pugin showing the picture gallery with oval lights instead of those as executed. The house is important as a largely unaltered late C18 mansion showing the influence of French Neo-classicism, and also in the early use of structural cast iron in the picture gallery. The Park was initially laid out by Thomas Leggett between 1769 and 1772, but is now largely the result of Humphry Repton's recommendations in his Red Book of 1797-98. The bridge, ha-ha and most of the planting probably date from this time. The Red Book is kept in the house. H. Avary Tipping, Attingham, CL, Vol.XLIX (Feb. 5th, 1921), Pp.158-166 and 186-193; Michael Rix, Attingham Hall, CL, Vol.CXVI (October 21st, 1954), Pp.1350-3; Christopher Hussey, English Country Houses: Mid-Georgian, 1760-1800, CL, Pp.195-202; J. Cornforth et al, Attingham Park, The National Trust (1981).



Listing NGR: SJ5498909891

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cornforth, J et al, Attingham Park, (1981)
Hussey, C, English Country Houses Mid Georgian 1760-1800, (1956), 195-202
'Country Life' in 5 February, (1921), 158-166
'Country Life' in 5 February, (1921), 186-193
'Country Life' in 21 October, , Vol. 116, (1954), 1350-3
Other
Part 35 Shropshire,

National Grid Reference: SJ 54989 09891

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 10:26:22.