List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SUNDIAL APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES SOUTH OF MARRINGTON LODGE

List entry Number: 1055046

Location

SUNDIAL APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES SOUTH OF MARRINGTON LODGE, A 490

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityChirbury with Brompton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Nov-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 257365

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHIRBURY C.P. A 490 (east side) SO 29 NE 8/40 Sundial approx. - 20m south of Marrington 21.3.68 Lodge (formerly listed as Sundial at Marrington Hall)

- II*

Sundial. Dated 1595 for Richard Lloyd. Limestone. Square pillar on chamfered square base. Each side of pillar is carved with a variety of figures and emblems, the mottoes and arms of the Lloyd family of Marrington Hall (q.v.). North face: figure of man in late C16 costume; inscription "VThO/RASTIC/VITA" and carving of horse's head above. West face: plant with lozenge shape above; interlocking serpents surmounted by horse's head; date "1595" and rosette to top. South face: owl sitting in tree with floriated cross above; torso of skeleton with "FVI.VT/ES.ERIS/ VT.SVM" carved in raised lettering below; scratchdial to top has inscription "DEUS MIHI/LUX". East face: armorial shield with 3 lions rampant, lozenge shape, griffin,shield with 2 birds and horse's head to top. Top section of each face has indentations and variety of scratchdials designed to utilise the sun's rays at 7 different points. There are positions for 7 gnomons, 3 to top and one to base with 3 to plinth missing at time of resurvey (November 1985). Initials "R.LL" (Richard Lloyd) carved on plinth with long superscription around edge largely indecipherable at time of resurvey. Another superscription to top edge of pillar is very faint but said to read "FROM DAI TO DAIE THESE SHADES DO FLEE AND SO THIS LIFE PASSETH AWAIE". The sundial formerly stood on the lawn at Marrington Hall and was brought to its present site in mid-1950s. Marrington Lodge is not included in this list. Francis Leach, The Count Seats ofshro shire (1891), pp.272-3.

Listing NGR: SO2669497633

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Leach, F, The County Seats of Shropshire, (1891), 272-3

National Grid Reference: SO 26694 97633

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 03:17:02.