List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1055017

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityBedstone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 257501

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEDSTONE C.P. BEDSTONE SO 37 NE Church of St 8/1 Mary 21.3.68 II* GV

Parish church. C12, repaired in 1851 and restored by Kempson of Hereford in 1879. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; timber framed bellcote: machine tile roofs have overhanging eaves and corbelled scissor-bracing to east gable of chancel and west gable of nave; iron crosses to east gables of nave and chancel. Nave with west bellcote; chancel; store shed on north. Bellcote: probably C17 but extensively restored C19 and C20. Timber framed with oak-shingled broach spire surmounted by brass weathercock. 3 pointed louvred windows to belfry on each side. Nave: buttresses at north-west and south-west angles have stone slate caps. Late C19 windows on north and south sides comprise 4 round-headed openings alternating with 3 similar blind arches; continuous cills. Small C12 round-headed window to east on south. West end has late C19 round-headed window above contemporary Romanesque-style doorway with chevron decoration to arch. Chancel: small C12 round-headed window on north. Taller C19 round-headed window on south. East wall has late C19 round- headed windows to left and right and one above to centre. Smaller round- headed window to apex appears to incorporate some earlier (presumably C12) stone-work. C19 lean-to shed on north in angle with nave has round- headed doorway on east and window on west. Interior. C19 trussed rafter roofs with scissor-bracing to nave and chancel with large tie beam at west end of nave supporting bellcote. Low C12 round-headed chancel arch has plain chamfered imposts; deep splays to C12 windows. C12 tub-shaped font has plain semi-circular band to centre and lead lining. Communion table incorporating C18 turned balusters from former communion rails has initials "EAM" and date "1721" inscribed. Other fittings and furnishings late C19, including 4 stained glass windows by Kempe in north wall in memory of Joseph Henry Brown, rector of Bedstone (1878-99). East window (c.1879) commemorates his wife, Annie (died 1872). Monuments. 2 plain early C19 wall memorials over east side of chancel arch. The 1879 restor- ation cost about £1,200. B.o.E. p. 71; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 5 (1901) pp. 376-7; Kell's Directory of Shropshire (1900) p.29.

Listing NGR: SO3688875745

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 376-7
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 71
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1900), 29

National Grid Reference: SO 36888 75745

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 02:33:08.