List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1054961

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, HOPESAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityHopesay

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-May-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 257662

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOPESAY C.P. HOPESAY SO 38 S.E 4/157 Church of St. Mary 21.3.86 - I

Parish church. Late C12 and early C13, restored c.1880. Uncoursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; machine tile roofs, those to chancel and organ chamber with coped verges on carved stone kneelers. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north organ chamber and C20 lean-to on north side. Tower: low and squat and heavily buttressed, those to south-east and north-west angles probably original, south-west C14 or C15 and remainder C17 or later. Narrow rectangular openings on north and west. C17 double-pyramidal top (c.f. Clun and More): roughcast belfry with paired louvred openings on north, south and west; pointed openings flanking clock on east. Nave: south side has broad cusped C19 lancet to west, followed by mid-C14 window (restored) of 2 cusped lights with elongated quatrefoil above. Similar C19 window to east of slightly squatter proportions. Gabled porch may be C17 but heavily restored in C19. Tudor arch to outer tie-beam but rest of roof structure looks C19: rubblestone outer walls may replace timber frame. Mid-C19 wrought-iron gates; 2 early C19 memorials fixed to east wall. Late C12 round-headed south doorway has one order of shafts and roll moulding over plain tympanum; leaf decoration to left capital and scalloped capital to right. Nail-studded plank door, probably C17. 2 Decorated-style C19 windows to east of porch. North side has broad single-chamfered lancet to east (c.1280) and C19 lancet immediately to west of C20 rubblestone lean-to to left of centre. Late C12 or early C13 lancet to west with C19 broad cusped lancet above to right. Chancel: 2-light cusped window with elongated quatrefoil to head (c.1350) to left, west light with blocked rectangular lowside window beneath. Late C12 single-chamfered round-headed doorway with contemporary lancet above-and another taller lancet to right. 3-light C19 east window with reticulated tracery has medieval hoodmould and head-stops. 2 lancets of c.1200 in north wall. Gabled C19 organ chamber projecting to north has lancets in north and west walls and external stack to north. Interior: main feature of interest is late C15 moulded arch-braced collar beam roof in 6 bays to nave. 2 tiers of purlins with double-ogee moulding and 3 quatrefoil windbraces to each side. Raking cusped struts from collars forming quatrefoils with cusped principal rafters plus moulded tie beams to centre and end trusses; indentations for former roof visible on east tie beam. Below the wall-plate on either side are bands of ornamental vertical panelling with a variety of Perpendicular-tracery patterns [c.f. Clun and Clunbury (q.v. under Church of St. Swithun, Clunbury C.P.)]. C19 panelled roof to chancel. Double-chamfered segmental-pointed chancel arch with semi-circular responds and moulded capitals and bases probably c.1200. Pointed doorway to tower and C13 pointed piscina in chancel. Mid-C19 gallery at west end has cast-iron column to north end but retains wooden board from C17 predecessor with superscription "BUILTE AT THE CHARGE OF EDWARD BLOOME ESQ ANNO DNI 1631". C19 pews incorporate C17 panelling (some decorative with a variety of floral and geometric motifs and dragon-like figures) from former box pews - also used to wainscot panelling and choir stalls. Priest's door probably medieval on inside and dug-out chest by south door has C13 iron-work. Wooden pulpit 1897 and richly carved late C19 octagonal font; altar and reredos c.1909. Stained glass: fragments of late C14 stained glass in quatrefoil of second window from west in nave south wall including coat-of-arms of Richard Fitz- alan, Earl of Arundel. East window commemorates Charles Henry Beddoes (died 1856); late C19 and early C20 glass in nave. Monuments: most notable is to Whitehall Harris (died 1751), painted oval-shaped stone with armorial device - south side of chancel arch. Plain mid-to late C18 memorials in chancel and mid-C19 tablets in nave. Coat-of arms of George III (west wall), bottom edge lettered "Daniel Bird. Thos. Morris. Church Wardens 1776". Framed wooden board attached to west tie beam of roof has painted lettering "Tho: Perks/Gave to this/ Parish / Forty Pounds". The wrought-iron gates to the porch were probably made by John Disley in 1840 and cost £4. 12s. Od. B.O.E. p. 153; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 5 (1901) pp. 398-401.

Listing NGR: SO3892083283

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 398-401
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 153

National Grid Reference: SO 38926 83279

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 01:29:34.