List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1054931

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityFarthingstone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360555

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FARTHINGSTONE SP6155 14/65 Church of St. Mary 18/01/68 GV II* Church. Late C13, restored 1852, 1872; and 1924-28 by Talbot Brown & Fisher. Coursed squared ironstone, tile roofs. Chancel, vestry (north side), nave, north nave chapel, south porch, west tower. East window has 3 lights, intersecting tracery and hood-mould with label stops. On north side of chancel C19 vestry flanked by simple 2-light geometrical windows. To south a 3-light window with intersecting tracery, and hood mould with label stops, pointed arch priests door, and single lancet window with hood-mould to left. On north side of nave at east end a 2-bay chapel with lean-to roof, and 2-light leaded windows with hood-moulds to north and east. A single lancet to west. C19 stone extension with plank door in pointed arch with hood-mould. Arched door in middle of north side of nave. South side of nave has a 3-light window left of porch, a two-light window to far left, both Perpendicular, a 3-light window, to right of porch, and all with hood-moulds. 3 2-light clerestory windows in rectangular splayed frames above porch. South porch has 4-centred moulded arch , gable and plain parapet. 4-centred moulded arch south door within. Nave has chamfered plinth, a plain coped parapet with pinnacles to south-west and north-west corners. West tower has 3 stages, a pointed arch south door, a west window, strings at floor level, and small rectangular windows to middle stage on north and south sides. Belfry stage has 2-light traceried window; crenellated parapet and corner pinnacles. Interior: chancel has 2-seat sedilia and piscina, C19 encaustic-tiled floor to sanctuary and choir, C19 stone reredos and timber barrel-vault roof of 1924. Renewed chancel arch. North nave chapel has ovolo and hallow-chamfered arch to nave with octagonal pillar to west and corbel respond to east; small bracket to right of east window with leaf carving. Renewed Queen-post roof to nave. Fine set of mid C19 pews with carved poppyheads to nave and chancel. C19 stained glass east window, other C20 stained glass. Early C19 chamber organ in north have chapel, painted Royal Arms of George IV in tower. Early C18, early and late C19 wall monuments; plain octagonal tub font.

Listing NGR: SP6132055007

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 61320 55007

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 11:34:57.