List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1054683

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityKnockin

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 256589

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KNOCKIN C.P. KNOCKIN SJ 32 SW

7/41 Church of St. Mary - 8.10.59

GV II*

Chapel-of-ease, now parish church. Circa 1182-95 for Ralph L'Estrange; partly rebuilt and extended 1847 and chancel restored in 1901. Roughly coursed and dressed red sandstone blocks and uncoursed red and grey sand- stone rubble with yellow brick dressings; machine tile roofs with stepped coped verges and stone crosses to gables of transept, nave and chancel. Original 2-cell plan of nave and chancel with south transept and west bellcote of 1847; north vestry/organ chamber of 1901 and early C20 west porch. Nave. North side buttressed in 3 bays has original round- headed window in west bay with projecting chevron decoration to soffit of arch, hoodmould and moulded imposts; C19 windows in imitation to centre and east bays. South side has elaborately moulded C19 paired broad lancets with yellow brick heads to east of gabled transept. This has triple stepped lancets with hoodmould and foliated label-stops to south and paired broad lancets to east and west walls. Similar paired broad lancets to west of transept. West wall has paired broad lancets with hoodmould and head-stops. Gabled yellow brick bellcote above has pointed louvred openings, double on east and west and single to north and south; pierced trefoils above on east and west and fish-shaped weathervane. Late Perpendicular-style porch has segmental arch with blind ogee above and foliated label-stops; embattled parapet to sides continued round to low-pitched gable. Chamfered rectangular windows on north and south and door has blind Gothic tracery. Doorway of 1847 behind has shouldered arch. Chancel. South side buttressed in 2 bays on chamfered plinth continued to east end. Round-headed priest's doorway in west bay has hoodmould, carved imposts and projecting chevron decoration to soffit of arch. Recessed segmental tympanum and one order of shafts with waterleaf carving to capitals. C19 Romanesque-style window to east. East window of 1847 has triple round-headed lights with chevron decoration to soffits, divided by plain pilasters with moulded imposts. Recessed quatrefoil above. Twin-gabled vestry/organ chamber to north has round-headed windows to east and to west gable on north. Lean-to to west has doorway with shouldered arch. Interior. Apparently blocked late C12 north arcade of 4 single-chamfered round-headed arches with hoodmould, circular piers, square chamfered bases, moulded capitals, one with waterleaf carving, and polygonal abaci. The whole leans inwards to south suggesting that it is not in situ. Heavily restored C17 double-purlin roof in 3 bays to nave with raking struts from collars to principal rafters. Similar C19 roof to transept supported on massive carved wooden corbels and C19 arch-braced collar beam roof in 2 bays to chancel with cusped struts from collars to cusped principal rafters. Pointed chancel arch with corbelled responds 1901. Round-headed arch (1901) on same line as north nave arcade leads from chancel to organ chamber. Priest's door blocked and C19 Romanesque-style piscina on north side of chancel. Tub-shaped font with 2 plain bands to centre and to rim and base probably C12. Stained glass in transept and in windows to east on south side of nave 1847, remainder late C19 or early C20, including east window of c.1915. Other fittings and furnishings late C19 or later, although pews incorporate some earlier panelling and reading desk has carved panel with superscription "IB 1674". No monuments of note. The presence of the north nave arcade is puzzling. There is no sign of blocked arches externally and the window in the west bay appears to be genuine C12 work. The existence of a short section of chamfered plinth to west of south transept indicates that it cannot have been orginally on that side and prints of the church made before 1847 do not show an aisle on that side. It may possibly- have been brought from another church. The earthworks of a substantial and probably roughly contemporary motte and bailey castle (Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No. 161) lie immediately to east. On building the church, originally a dependent chapelry of Kinnerley, Ralph L'Estrange granted the advowson to Haughmond Abbey. B.o.E. p. 162; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 5 (1908), pp. 796-7.

Listing NGR: SJ3340522339

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Cranage, DHS - Title: An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire - Date: 1908 - Volume: 5 - Page References: 796-797
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 162

National Grid Reference: SJ 33405 22339

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 11:00:28.