List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1054675

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityKinnerley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 256566

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINNERLEY C.P. KINNERLEY SJ 32 SW

7/18 Church of St. Mary - 8.10.59 GV II*

Parish church. West tower of c.1600, nave and chancel by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard 1773-4; tower restored 1862 by Revd. E.W.O. Bridgeman; south porch added 1889 during general restoration of 1887-90. Red sandstone blocks; slate roofs with coped verges on carved stone kneelers, except to porch which has machine tiles. Nave, apsidal chancel, west tower and south porch. Tower: in 3 stages with diagonal buttresses to north- west and south-west angles. Embattled parapet, moulded string courses and plinth; low pyramidal slate cap with brass weathercock. Restored Perpendicular-style west window of 4 lights and narrow round-headed windows to first and second stages on south. Two-light Decorated- style windows of 1862 with hoodmoulds and head-stops to belfry. Grotes- ques and gargoyles to corners of top string course also 1862. Nave in 4 bays has 3 broad round-headed windows with boldly projecting keystones on south. Gabled stone porch(1889) in west bay has angle buttresses and pointed outer arch over segmental inner arch with contemporary recessed pointed doorway. North side has 3 windows like those on south and lunette window to west bay, placed slightly to left of infilled open- pedimented doorway. Moulded eaves cornice on both sides. Apsidal chancel has similar windows on north and south and moulded eaves cornice. Late C19 lean-to boiler house in angle with nave on north. Interior. King-post roof in 5 bays to nave. Stilted pointed tower arch with roughly carved capitals is contemporary with tower. Pointed chancel arch (1887-90) with unfinished tooling to corbelled responds. Late C18 painted panelled wooden reredos in chancel has composite pilasters with fluted entablature, rosettes to dosserets and egg and dart moulding to cornice. Semi-circular pediment to centre with carving of cross and letters "IHS" superscribed and urn finials to left and right. Round-headed panels to centre have painted Ten Commandments; panels to left and right with swags above have painted Creed and Lord's Prayer respectively. Oak chest at west end of nave has fleur-de-lys pointed ironwork and inscription "ED: (Edward Davids) CW: (Churchwardens) RF/ (Richard Flledge) 1681". Other fittings and furnishings late C19 or later including stone pulpit of 1870. Stained glass in chancel windows by Tower (1932). Monuments. Chancel, north side: oval-shaped marble medallion surmounted by carving of bishop's mitre with heads of 2 winged cherubim beneath Latin inscription to John Bridgeman, Bishop of Chester: erected by his grandson Sir John Bridgeman in 1719. Chancel, south side: oval wall tablet to Sarah Evans (died 1783); various C18 and C19 wall tablets to members of local families in nave. Benefactors' board dated 1792 in tower (north side) with C19 continuation on south side. B.o.E. pp. 161-2; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908) pp. 794-5; Colvin (1978), p. 663.

Listing NGR: SJ3382520943

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 663
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 794-795
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 161-162

National Grid Reference: SJ 33825 20943

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 04:52:56.