List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SUMMERHOUSE ATTACHED TO WEST END OF GARDEN WALL AT BLODWEL HALL

List entry Number: 1054646

Location

SUMMERHOUSE ATTACHED TO WEST END OF GARDEN WALL AT BLODWEL HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityLlanyblodwel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Oct-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 256597

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LLANYBLODWEL C.P. - SJ 22 SE

6/49 Summerhouse attached to - west end of garden wall 19.1.52 at Blodwel Hall [formerly listed as Summerhouse and gateway at Blodwell (sic) Hall, Llyndys (sic)]

GV II*

Summerhouse, now disused. Dated 1718 with minor later alterations. Red brick with rusticated sandstone ashlar to front and rusticated corner piers to rear; graded slate roof concealed by coped verges. Square plan. One storey with moulded eaves cornice continued across and around front pedimented gable which has cross crosslet-shaped finials to corners and disfigured carved finial to centre. Elaborately carved armorial device with trumpets and garlands occupying whole of pediment. Moulded round- headed arch to centre has plain pilasters and carved male head with gaping mouth as keystone. Segmental-headed plank door in red brick wall across lower part of arch is C19 insertion. Partially infilled window with moulded eared architrave to left return has original slots for wooden bars or stone transoms. Part of what appears to be a fragment of centre finial was lying on ground by entrance at time of resurvey (October 1986). Plain datestone inscribed "1718" to rear gable. Interior. In poor condition at time of resurvey. Semi-circular wooden fanlight of former- doorway lying on floor. Painted round-headed niches to back wall and remains of coved plaster ceiling with wooden cornice. B.o.E. p. 171.

Listing NGR: SJ2609122824

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 171

National Grid Reference: SJ 26091 22824

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 06:34:47.