List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PRADOE INCLUDING ATTACHED SERVICE RANGES AND OUTBUILDINGS

List entry Number: 1054637

Location

PRADOE INCLUDING ATTACHED SERVICE RANGES AND OUTBUILDINGS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityRuyton-XI-Towns

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Oct-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 256675

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:-

RUYTON-XI-TOWNS C.P. SJ 32 SE

8/123 Pradoe including attached service ranges and out- buildings(formerly listed as Pradoe)

GV II

The entry should be amended to read:-

SJ 32 SE RUYTON-XI-TOWNS C.P,

8/123 Pradoe including attached service ranges and out- buildings(formerly listed as Pradoe)

GV II*

------------------------------------

RUYTON-XI-TOWNS C.P. - SJ 32 SE

8/123 Pradoe including attached - service ranges and out- buildings (formerly listed 19.1.52 as Pradoe)

GV II

Small country house. 1785 by John Dovaston for Revd. Pritchard extended 1810-11 and 1812 by John Carline for Thomas Kenyon; further alterations by John Hiram Haycock in 1816; later additions and alterations. Red brick; hipped slate roof with central open well. 3 storeys with moulded stone eaves cornice continued as dentilled brick eaves cornice to right return and chamfered brick plinth; cellar. 5-window front, glazing bar sashes with gauged heads except for centre windows on first and second floors, which have shouldered and eared architraves with rosette emblems to corners and to cill brackets to first-floor window. Central entrance; mid-C19 half-glazed double doors with stained glass to borders. 2 windows to left infilled. Single-storey hip-roofed addition to right by Carline has 2 tall 15-paned glazing bar sashes with plain stone wedge lintels. Left return has full-height canted bay to centre; glazing bar sashes with gauged heads and French window to centre of canted bay also with gauged head. Single-storey addition to left, also by Carline, has low-pitched hipped roof concealed by moulded stone eaves cornice and 3 tall 15-Paned glazing bar sashes with plain stone wedge lintels. Main range has ridge, valley, integral and end stacks, mainly with tops rebuilt in mid-C19 yellow brick. Late C18 and C19 service ranges to rear. Mixed red brick and sandstone block construction; slate roofs, some hipped. 2 storeys with toothed eaves cornices. Mainly glazing bar sashes but some C19 casements; ridge and end stacks. Single-storey sandstone block projection to rear on left with hipped graded slate roof and toothed eaves cornice houses game larder. Two-light stone mullion window lighting cellar to rear of right return of main block may be part of an earlier house. Interior. Open-well stone staircase in centralhall by John Carline (1803-5): decorated cast-iron balusters, open string and inlaid wreathed and ramped handrail. Two sandstone fluted Doric columns with antae in former dining room (now library) also probably by Carline. This room has inset C19 bookcases with canvas maps which can be rolled down in front of them. Concealed door leads through to dining room extension. Drawing room extension has monument to Henry, son of Thomas Kenyon by Thomas Carline, plaster copy of which is in Pradoe Church (q.v.). C18 cast-iron fireplaces, plaster cornices (some with egg and dart or other moulding), panelled doors (some with decorated surrounds) and panelled window shutters throughout. Service ranges retain an unusually large amount of late C18 and C19 features and furnishings: bread ovens, cast-iron sinks and cooking ranges, larders, shelves etc. 2 former kitchens including one to basement. Game larder has slate shelves and sink. Sandstone-walled cellars. Set in a fine parkland landscape. The building history of the house and its associated estate buildings is exceptionally well documented. Colvin (1978), pp. 187, 408; information from owner, Col. Kenyon (November 1986).

Listing NGR: SJ3583924844

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Colvin, H M - Title: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 - Date: 1978 - Page References: 187
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Colvin, H M - Title: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 - Date: 1978
  3. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 35 Shropshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: SJ 35842 24848

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 05:06:23.