List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1054594

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityMore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 256860

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 39 SW MORE C.P. MORE

6/15 Church of St Peter 2.2.68 GV II*

Parish church. C13 and 1640; rebuilt 1845 and extended 1871. Coursed rubble, slate to tower and chancel roofs, plain tiles to nave and north transept. Nave, chancel, west tower, long north transept and vestry. Massive squat tower probably early C13; paired lancet window in west wall and pointed doorway to south of 1845, above, narrow rectangular slit openings are original; the tower is capped by the 'double pyramidal top', characteristic of the area (c.f. Clun and Hopesay), and which probably dates to C17; roughcast belfry with 2 lines of wooden louvres surmounted by a pyramidal roof with weathercock. Long buttressed nave of 5 bays in the lancet style of 1845, all the windows have hoodmoulds except one smaller lancet at the west end of the north wall; continuous 2 bay chancel of same style and date; East window of 2 cusped lights with cinquefoil above, also contemporary is the vestry to the north. North transept of 1640, round-headed window on east side while that on west has a slightly more pointed head, the doorway in the east wall (under a late C19 stone porch) has a depressed 4 centred arch; the transept was extended by one bay to the north in 1871 (see the straight joint) and has lancets in the east and west walls, the north wall, however, has a window with debased Y-tracery, re-used from the old north wall. Interior. Mid C19 staircase with turned balusters on north side of tower leads to a west gallery supported on 2 cast-iron shafts; hammerbeam roofs to nave, chancel and southern part of transept (1845); steep pitched roof to northern extension of transept (1871); mid C19 box pews, reading desk and pulpit incorporate C17 woodwork; the tub-shaped font on a later pedestal is probably medieval but of indeterminate date; inlaid in the floor nearby are 2 portions of Roman tessellated pavement, said to have come from the villa at Linley, excavated in 1855. Mid C19 and early C20 stained glass; probably medieval parish chest and C19 texts in the tower. The only monuments of note are in the north transept (originally built above the burial vault of the More family in 1640 - see the marble tablet on the west wall); on the north wall a memorial to Harriott Mary More (died 1851) by Field of London, she stands leaning on a pedestal with an urn, in the floor in front an engraved brass coat of arms; funeral hatchments (C18?) to the family on the east and west walls; also in the transept are 2 C17 oak presses which formerly contained the church library, presented by Richard More to the churchwardens in 1680. B.0.E. p.203; Cranage, Vol.5 Pp.420-1.

Listing NGR: SO3429691524

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 420-1
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 203

National Grid Reference: SO 34296 91524

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2014 at 04:24:47.