List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1054552

Location

THE TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityBishop's Castle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 256962

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 3288 BISHOP'S CASTLE C.P. HIGH STREET (west side)

12/52 The Town Hall - 28/7/50 GV II*

Town Hall. Circa 1765 with mid- to late-C19 remodelling. Red brick (English bond) with sandstone ashlar base and dressings (refaced with cement render in C19), and slate roof, hipped to south. Rectangular plan. Basement and 2 storeys. South front: rusticated basement and end pilaster strips, ground floor moulded impost band, moulded stone cornice, and central triangular pediment; central wooden cupola consisting of square base with clocks. to south, east and west, cornice, and octagonal bell-stage with Doric columns, frieze, cornice and ogee lead cap with weathervane; flagpole at rear. First floor Venetian window with plain architrave, ground floor round-arched window with late-C19 cast iron glazing bars, moulded architrave, and keystone; 2 circular basement windows with wrought-iron grilles. 5 bay east and west fronts; first floor glazing bar sashes with flush frames and gauged brick heads with keystones, second and fourth to east and that at right to west, blind; ground floor round-arched windows with fluted keystones, continuous moulded impost band, and partly blocked with late-C19 cast-iron glazing bars above; boarded double doors to north in east and west fronts; public lavatories in former lock-up in basement to south. Interior: entrance hall to north with office above, and ground floor hall to south with Courtroom (probably former Council Chamber) above; C18 L-shaped staircase in entrance hall with landing, open string, heavy turned balusters (2 per tread) moulded ramped handrail, and columnular newel posts; possibly C18 'bench' in Courtroom, 2 bays with pilasters and raised panels. Bishop's Castle was a notorious 'rotten borough' before the 1832 Reform Bill and was the smallest in England at its demise in 1967; the Town Clerk's office in the Town Hall contains many old prints of the town, some commemorative items, such as clocks etc., and also many of the old borough records. B.O.E., p.76; Michael Moulder, A Shell Guide to Shropshire, Faber and Faber, 1972.

Listing NGR: SO3234488950

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Moulder, M, A Shell Guide to Shropshire, (1972)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 76

National Grid Reference: SO 32344 88950

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 07:49:13.