List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WALCOT HALL

List entry Number: 1054543

Location

WALCOT HALL, WALCOT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityLydbury North

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Jan-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 257047

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 38 NW and LYDBURY NORTH C.P. WALCOT SO 38 SW

5/133 Walcot Hall (formerly 9/133 listed as Walcot) 1/12/51 GV II* Country house. Rebuilding of an earlier house after 1763, by Sir William Chambers for Lord Clive, added to in early C19, and remodelled and reduced in size after 1933 by A.T. and Bertram Butler of Wolverhampton. Red brick with ashlar plinth and dressings, and hipped slate roof. Large irregular U-plan with ballroom projecting to south-west. Basement, 2 storeys, and attic. Plinth, flush quoins, coped parapet with balustrading above windows, 9 segmental-headed dormer windows, and 7 stacks; 4 lead downpipes with fluted funnels and rainwater heads with cast griffins. 11 bays; glazing bar sashes with gauged heads; 2 stone lions on low walls flanking 4 steps up to central one storey, 3 bay, ashlar Roman Doric portico with unfluted columns and pilasters; half architrave, triglyph frieze, dentil cornice and lead top; 2 central 3-panelled doors with probably circa 1933 doorcase consisting of moulded architrave, triglyph frieze with paterae and console brackets supporting dentil cornice. South-east front: 2:5:2 bays with recessed centre; parapet with balustrading in centre over outer bays and above third, fifth and seventh bays; dormers behind. North-west front: 8 irregularly spaced bays, partly remodelled in the 1930's. Service wing: projecting to north-east, also remodelled in 1930's; parapet and hipped roof with 3 ridge stacks; 9 bays to rear with glazing bar sashes, and panelled doors in end bays with circa 1933 Tuscan doorcases. Wall projecting to north-east approximately 8 metres long and 2.5 metres high; returning to south-west with 2 piers and 2 one-storey brick lodges with hipped roofs flanking drive. Early C19 Ballroom adjoining to south-west; one storey with stone cornice and blocking course, and hipped roof with 3 stacks to north-west, 7 bay side elevation with large 8-pane sashes; north-east front facing courtyard with balustraded terrace, 8 steps up to two 5-panelled doors with ashlar porch, and linked to main block by flanking arcaded screen wails. Interior: remodelled circa 1933 in a late C18 style but retaining some original features. Panelled doors throughout with moulded architraves, anthemion friezes, and console brackets supporting dentil cornices. Entrance hall: enlarged circa 1933 with coupled-column screen and 4-flight staircase in the style of the early C18; Drawing room to left at front: Chambers cross-beam ceiling with palmette motifs and paterae; frieze with amphora; Chambers fireplace consisting of pilasters with acanthus capitals, fluted frieze with putti and urns, central plaque with horn-of-plenty, cornice, and C18 grate; South room: cross beam ceiling and probably C18 fireplace with two griffins on frieze; Ballroom: ante room with moulded anthemion frieze and cornice, and double folding doors to ballroom with moulded frieze and cornice and 2 large ceiling roses. Lord Clive bought the Walcot estate in 1763 and employed Chambers to enlarge the earlier house on the site; Mr Stevens bought the estate in 1933 and employed the Butlers to remodel the house, which included removing a central pediment on the entrance front and an early C19 tower at south-west corner, greater alterations to other facades, and simplifying the plan by enlarging rooms and creating a central courtyard which separated the ballroom from the main block. Country Life, Vol. LXXXVI, October,14, 1939, pp.388-92, and Vol. CL, November1971, pp.1366-8; N. Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropshire, p.307.

Listing NGR: SO3486884980

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 307
'Country Life' in 14 October, (1939)
'Country Life' in November, , Vol. 86, (1971), 388-92

National Grid Reference: SO 34868 84980

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 07:10:11.