List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WARDEN'S HOUSE AND CHAPEL ADJOINING TRINITY HOSPITAL AT SOUTH-EAST CORNER

List entry Number: 1054456

Location

WARDEN'S HOUSE AND CHAPEL ADJOINING TRINITY HOSPITAL AT SOUTH-EAST CORNER, HOSPITAL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityClun

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 257249

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 3081-3181 CLUN C.P. HOSPITAL LANE (East side) 13/160 1.12.51 Warden's House and Chapel adjoining Trinity Hospital at South-east corner

GV II*

Warden's house, now house and chapel. Circa 1857. Coursed and roughly squared limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs. L- plan house with chapel to South. House: one storey and attic. Brick ridge stacks off-centre to left and right; 2 central gabled semi-dormers with verge parapets and 3-light casements. Ground floor 4-bay arcaded loggia with square piers, moulded capitals and round arches; 2 casements set back behind right half-glazed door to left; boarded door into hospital in left-hand return front of loggia. Interior: dog-leg staircase with pendants, closed string, turned balusters, moulded ramped handrail and square newel-posts; moulded architraves. Chapel: lancet style. 3 bays. Diagonal buttresses, verge parapets; gabled bellcote to West with chamfered-arched opening. Paired West lancets and triple East lancets with continuous returned hoodmoulds; four- centred chamfered- arched doorway in loggia to North with 4 flush-panelled studded doorway. Interior: roof with pairs of purlins; arch-braced collar trusses with king posts from collar to apex; C17-style 1857 box pews; plaque commemorating foundation of hospital; glass in East windows lettered "HENRY HOWARD, EARL OF NORTHAMPTON, KG,/FOUNDER/1618", "THOMAS MUSGRAVE, D.D./LORD BISHOP OF HEREFORD/VISITOR 1837" and "EDWARD HERBERT, EARL OF POWIS K.G./LORD of the HONOR and LORDSHIP OF CLUN/1845". Graded II* on account of relationship with Trinity Hospital (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SO3033781073

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 30337 81073

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2014 at 08:54:19.