List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TRINITY HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1054455

Location

TRINITY HOSPITAL, HOSPITAL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityClun

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 257248

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 3081-3181 CLUN C.P. HOSPITAL LANE (East side)

13/159 Trinity Hospital 1.12.51

GV II*

Almshouses. Founded in 1607 by Henry Howard, Earl of Northampton, and built in 1618 with alterations of 1857. Coursed limestone rubble with sandstone ashlar and red brick dressings; machine-tile roof. Dwellings and other rooms arranged around a square courtyard. One storey and attic. 2 large brick multi-diamond-shafted ridge stacks to South range, 3 integral lateral brick stacks to rear of both East and West ranges, and 4 integral lateral brick stacks to rear of North range; verge parapets. South (entrance) front: gables over ends and raised central gable containing circa 1857 two-light attic casement with returned hood- mould and large round-arched entrance with moulded jambs and imposts and 2 large Cl7 boarded studded doors with strap hinges and knocker; flanking circa 1857 gabled eaves-dormers with 2-light casements; 8- window front; casements with chamfered stone mullions and surrounds. Rear: central gable with 3-light attic casement and round-arched entrance with chamfered jambs and imposts; Cl7 timber framed eaves- dormer to left with 3-light casement and jettied gable with curved V- struts. One- and 2-light casements onto courtyard with chamfered stone mullions and surrounds; mainly C20 glazed and half-glazed doors with pilastered surrounds and bracketed hoods. North range: South front: central boarded square cupola with clock to South and pyramidal plain tile cap with globe finial and weathervane. 8-window front; central passageway, studded boarded door with strap hinges. North front: 8 windows with cavetto-moulded brick mullions and surrounds (see also West front). Central round archway with chamfered jambs and old studded boarded door with strap hinges. Interior: square-panelled timber framed cross walls; chamfered and stopped beams (also within archways); former communal dining hall to right at front containing some C19 hospital furniture and an example of the former hospital uniform; former warden's house (adjoining main entrance) is reputed to have a small Cl7 staircase with open strings, turned balusters and moulded handrail (Cf. 1967 provisional list); an example of a Cl9 hospital bed survives abandoned at rear of the building at time of resurvey (October 1984). The full name of these 6 almshouses is The Hospital of the Holy and Undivided Trinity. A well-preserved example of courtyard-plan almshouses.

Listing NGR: SO3030381083

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 30303 81083

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 06:39:58.