List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLUN MUSEUM

List entry Number: 1054426

Location

CLUN MUSEUM, THE SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityClun

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Jun-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 257273

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 3080-3180 CLUN C.P. THE SQUARE (North side)

15/182 Clun Museum (formerly 1.12.51 listed as Court House or Town Hall)

GV II*

Market-house, now museum. Dated 1780, remodelled and ground floor arcade blocked probably in late C19. Coursed and squared limestone rubble (with evidence of former limewashing), sandstone ashlar ground floor facing to South and West and other dressings, later roughcast above ground floor impost level, and hipped slate roof. 2 storeys. Projecting plinth, first floor impost band, interrupted floor band to South, moulded wooden craves-cornice, and central square cupola with louvred keyed round-arches on each face and ogee lead cap with globe finial and wrought iron weather- vane. South front: 3 bays, 1:1:1 rhythm, that in centre slightly projecting; first floor C19 three-light wooden casements with ashlar lintels flanking central lunette; ground floor round-arched arcade with impost blocks and Projecting dropped keystones; 2-light C19 windows set back in outer arches and 2 steps to central archway with boarded door set back. West-front: carved sandstone Powis coat-of-arms on first floor dated "MLCCLXXX"; blocked ground floor round arch with impost blocks, projecting dropped keystone, and inserted C19 nail-studded boarded arched door with elaborate strap hinges.

Listing NGR: SO3007680876

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 30076 80876

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 05:03:11.