List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LLWYD MANSION

List entry Number: 1054299

Location

LLWYD MANSION, 1 AND 3, CROSS STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityOswestry

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255536

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 2929 NW OSWESTRY C.P. CROSS STREET (north side)

14/65 Nos. 1 and 3 (Llwyd - Mansion) 10.9.51 GV I

House, with ground floor latterly used as shops, now empty. Mid- to late C15, re-modelled c. 1604 with later additions and alterations. Timber frame with plaster infill, partly painted in imitation externally, late C19 machine tile roof and 2 yellow brick stacks with moulded capping to back wall. Original plan appears to have comprised 4 units, the ground and first floors of each unit possibly forming a 2-storey shop, with an open solar above; now truncated by at least half a bay to Bailey Street side. 3 storeys and gable-lit attic; framing: close-set vertical posts with middle rail to second floor and irregular square and rectangular panels with long straight tension braces to first floor; ground floor has C20 shop front and brick plinth carried round to left gable end; this and the front are jettied to first and second floors (and also formerly to attic gable), the second-floor moulded bressumer is supported by carved brackets springing from thin wooden posts with cushion capitals, which rise from first-floor bressumer beneath (evidence for appearance of first-floor jetty destroyed by insertion of shop front); irregular fenestration, 3 late C19 casements directly below eaves to second floor, first floor has wooden mullioned and transomed windows with projecting moulded cills to left, right and centre and a restored C15 four-light trefoil-headed window with mouchettes and quatrefoils above between centre and right windows; immediately to left of centre mullioned and transomed window is a small blocked 4-light mullion window, probably also original to building; gable has two 3-light mullioned and transomed windows with projecting moulded cills to first floor and a similar 4-light window above, small fixed-light window with quatrefoil decoration below to attic: all the gable windows were, however, considerably restored and replaced or newly made when this part of the building was truncated in late C19; plaster roundel to left-hand side of second floor on front has double-headed eagle (coat-of-arms of Lloyd family) and the words"LLWYD/1604/MANSION" painted in late C19/C20 lettering. Interior: interpretation of original lay-out of ground floor difficult owing to presence of C20 mezzanine [due to be removed at time of re-survey (August 1985)]; first floor has boxed-in ceiling beams, upward and downward swinging braces from wall-posts, and dragon beam for jetty above in left-hand bay; more can be seen on second floor: 3 square-panelled cross walls have plastered wattle and daub infill but ceiling is later insertion and this floor was originally open to roof; this is of Queen-strut construction in 5 bays with both open and closed trusses, curved cusped windbraces and downward and upward swinging chamfered curved braces to tie beams from principal rafters and wall-posts respectively. The unusual arrangement of this house, including the possibility that the second bay from right was a smoke bay, deserves further study. Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No. 138, B.O.E. p. 224; Salop County Sites and Monuments Record PRN 1120; Carole Ryan, personal communication.

Listing NGR: SJ2907229622

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 224

National Grid Reference: SJ 29072 29620

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 12:57:46.