List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST WINIFRED'S WELL

List entry Number: 1054245

Location

ST WINIFRED'S WELL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityOswestry Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 15-May-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255700

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 32 SW OSWESTRY RURAL C.P. WOOLSTON

10/222 St. Winifred's Well - (formerly listed as the Well House in West Felton C.P. ) 19.1.52

- II*

Holy well and well house. Probably late C15/early C16 on earlier site, later additions and alterations. Well: regularly coursed dressed sandstone blocks; cottage: timber framed with painted brick infill, slate roof. Cottage is a single-storey T-plan with gable projecting over well. Framing: massive close-set vertical posts throughout with V-struts from collar to gable; boarded-over window to left of central boarded door on north side, integral yellow brick end stack to right with original shaped window-head below largely obscured by wooden lean-to. Well: consists of inner chamber over spring beneath cottage approached through narrow entrance to right; this inner chamber has a round-headed outer arch over low stone wall with moulded rectangular (? image) niche above, leading into a rectangular stone basin; this has a flight of 4 steps to each side and the water drains through a hole in the wall at the bottom end into a square basin below; this is also approached by steps to left and right and the water drains through a hole at its bottom end into the stream below. Interior: inspection not possible at time of re-survey (July 1985) but said to contain an arch-braced collar beam roof in 3 bays with cusped struts forming quatrefoils and cusped wind braces. The well commemorates the miracle of a spring gushing forth on the spot where the body of the C7 Saint Winifred rested on its journey from Holywell to Shrewsbury; the present structure was probably built at the expense of Margaret, Countess of Beaufort, wife of Henry VII, who also re-built the larger pilgrimage centre at Holywell. A datestone said to be inscribed 1635 at the right of the entrance to the well's inner chamber was not visible at time of re-survey and there is no evidence to support the suggestion that the structure above the well was once a chapel. B.O.E. p. 323; Trans. Salop. Arch. Soc. XXVII (1904) pp. 310-12; Salop County Sites and Monuments Record, PRN 13169.

Listing NGR: SJ3222524432

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society - Date: 1904 - Journal Title: Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society - Volume: 27 - Page References: 310-12
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 323

National Grid Reference: SJ 32225 24432

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2014 at 05:04:06.