List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LILLESHALL HALL

List entry Number: 1053678

Location

LILLESHALL HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthoritySheriffhales

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Aug-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255176

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SEVENTH LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHICECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST COMPILED UNDER SECTION 54 OF THE TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING ACT 1971

SHROPSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL BRIDGENORTH D

5357

SJ 71 SW SHERIFFHALES C.P. -

3/3 Lilleshall Hall

-

GV II *

House, now National Sports Centre. 1829, by Sir Jeffry Wyatville in a Tudor Gothic style. Limestone and sandstone ashlar with slate roofs. Square plan with service wing projecting to East. Basement and 2½ storeys with one and 2 storey service wing. Moulded plinth, parapet string, downpipes and rainwater heads with cast dogs, coped parapet with corner pinnacles and gable finials, and 12 stacks with grouped octagonal shafts. Mullioned and transomed windows with returned hoodmoulds. Entrance front: 3 window front; 2 large end gables with stacks at apexes. Central projecting 3½ storey porch tower with octagonal corner buttresses up to first floor, string courses, and parapeted gables on each face with corner pinnacles and finials. Small attic casements, second floor 2-light windows , that to North with carved coat of arms beneath, first stage cross windows, and porte-cochere beneath with 4-centred arches in 3 faces, that to North with 2 uncarved shields above; 2 bay ribbed vault inside and 4-centred arched doorway with 2 half glazed doors, sidelights and overlight. Service wing to left with 9 multi-shafted stacks; 2 storey block to right with 5 window front, small gable to right and large central tower with clocks to front and rear, and multi-shafted stacks at each corner; one storey block projecting to left with gabled semi-dormer to right; walled service court to far left with 2 gate piers, West front: asymetrical 4 window front, with 3 small gabled semi dormers to left, projecting gabled full-height square bay to right, and 2 ground floor square bays to left. Small square gazebo to left with semi-circular moulded arched seat recesses to West and South, coped parapet, corner obelisks, and short connecting wall with 4-centred archway. South fronts symetrical 4 window front with 2 small central gabled semi-dormers, 2 larger outer gables, and 2 ground floor canted bays to left and right with uncarved shields on parapets. Interior: panelled entrance hall with 2 shell niches. Large central double-height panelled staircase hall with arched first floor Gothic glazed windows, and hammer beams supporting large rectangular top light with round-arched glazing. 3-flight square well staircase with landing, open string, turned balusters with tulip decoration, and round bottom newel with globe finial. Series of ground floor rooms with Tudor Gothic decoration including panelling, rich-moulded cornices, panelled plaster ceilings, and fireplaces with carved overmantels. The house was built for George Grenville, first Duke of Sutherland, who died in 1833. Formal gardens to West and landscaped grounds. B.O.E., Shropshire, p.166j Burkes and Savills Guide to country Houses Vo1 II, Peter Reid, 1980; The Country Seats of Shrovshire. Ed. Francis Leach, Eddowea, 1891.

Listing NGR: SJ7485914462

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Leach, F, The County Seats of Shropshire, (1891)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 166
Reid, P, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in Herefordshire Shropshire Warwickshire Worcestershire, (1980)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,

National Grid Reference: SJ 74859 14462

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 12:49:10.