List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HATTON GRANGE AND GARDEN WALL TO SOUTH WEST WITH GATE AND GATE PIERS

List entry Number: 1053650

Location

HATTON GRANGE AND GARDEN WALL TO SOUTH WEST WITH GATE AND GATE PIERS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityShifnal

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255209

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 70 SE SHIFNAL C.P. -

9/3 Hatten Grange and Garden 29/9/51 Wall to South West with Gate and Gatepiers.

GV II*

House. 1764-8, by Thomas Farnells Pritchard, with 1896 and circa 1900 alterations and additions. Red brick with ashlar dressings, and hipped slate roof. Central 3 storey block with quadrant linking walls to set back one storey pavilions. South-West front: plinth, first floor string course, cornice, blocking course, triangular pediment over central 3 slightly projecting bays with central oval plaque and carved festoons of fruit and flowers in tympanum; ridge stacks off-centre to left and right, and 2 stacks to rear. 2:3:2 bays, centre 3 narrower; glazing bar sashes with gauged heads, these in centre 3 bays with lugged architraves and bracketed cills; central first floor arched window with triple keyed architrave. Circa 1896 two storey canted bay windows in outer bays with balustraded parapets. Central half glazed door with semi-circular fanlight and doorcase with architrave consisting of unfluted Doric half columns, triglyph frieze, and open trian- gular pediment. North-West entrance front: 3 bays, central windows with lugged architraves, and cornice on first floor. Circa 1900 ground floor addition; 5 unequal bays with plinth, frieze, cornice and blocking course. Rusticated end pilasters, and centre 3 bays with Tuscan pilasters and full entablature. Outer bays with keyed stone lintels. Central pair of half glazed doors with projecting porch consisting of Tuscan columns, entablature, and open triangular pediment with shield and motto in tympanum: "Deo duce comite industria magnanimiter crucem sustine". South-East front: 4 bays, circa 1900 ground floor square bay to left with rusticated end pilasters, frieze, cornice and balustraded parapet, 3 light glazing bar sash to front with keyed stone lintel. Pavilions: arcaded quadrant linking wall to North- West with stone impost band and coping. 2 storey pavilion with Tuscan serliana and open triangular pedimented gable end above with circular window in tympanum. Linking block to circa 1900 matching South-East pavilion, with the addition of a serliana to South - East also. Quadrant garden wall projecting approximately 20 metres from house to South-West; red brick with stone coping; 2 gate piers at North-West end with globe finials, and wrought iron gate between with exuberant overthrow. Interior: largely 1764-8 with rich plaster- work, and some circa 1900 alterations. Morning Room (former entrance hall): deep cornice with paterae on soffit; doorcases with lugged architraves, pulvinated friezes, and cornices; chimneypiece with lugged architrave frieze with foliage decoration, and cornice. Drawing Room: medillion cornice with paterae; doors with lugged architraves; chimneypiece with tapered pilasters, and frieze with foliage decoration and central ram's head. Dining Room: rich frieze; doorcases with lugged architraves and cornices; plaster panels, large plaster picture panel with lugged architrave and swan-necked pediment with foliage decoration; chimneypiece with terms, frieze with foliage decoration and central rustic scene, and scrolled acanthus brackets supporting rich cornice; fireplace overmantel with plaster panel containing festoons, drops, and central music 'trophy' consisting of various musical instruments; depressed-arched sideboard recess containing plaster harvest 'trophy' including agricultural implements and produce. Library: dentil cornice; chimneypiece with frieze consisting of foliage decoration and central urns Staircase Hall: circa 1900 three-flight rectangular well staircase with twisted balusters, square newels, and Ionic pilasters to first floor landing. Chinoiserie and Gothic fireplaces in former first floor middle chamber and dressing room. Landscaped grounds including natural ravine with chain of former monastic fishponds, and circa 1960 octagonal classical temple by Clough Williams Ellis (not listed). N. Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropahire, p 14O; Country Life, Vol. CXLiii, February 29, 1968, p.p.466-70.

Listing NGR: SJ7646004292

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: 29 February - Date: 1968 - Journal Title: Country Life - Page References: 466-470
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 35 Shropshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 140

National Grid Reference: SJ 76460 04292

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 11:23:09.