List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1053645

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthoritySheriffhales

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-May-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255193

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 71 SE SHERIFFHALES C.P. CHURCH LANE (West side)

4/15 Church of St. Mary.

26/5/55

GV II*

Parish Church: C12 and C14 with nave re-roofed and probably re-faced to South. Circa 1661. Chancel probably re-faced to South in C18, tower Circa 1723, and whole restored in 1884. Squared and coursed stone ashlar tower and South facing to nave and chancel. Rendered East nave wall, and chancel and aisle eaves re-built to North. Old tile roofs, separately over nave, aisle and chancel. 4 bay nave, North aisle chancel and West tower. Tower: 3 stages with moulded plinth, set-offs, string courses, and chamfered battlemented parapet, louvred bellchamber openings on each face with 2 round-arched lights set in larger recessed round arch; small round arched second stage windows to North and South; large, probably early C19 first stage West window with Y-tracery, and 2-light square window to South with cast iron ogee tracery; blocked round-arched doorway to North with plain architrave, imposts, and keystone. Clock on top stage to East; tablet on second stage to South inscribed J.W., date illegible at time of re-survey. Nave: moulded eaves cornice and sprocketed eaves to South. South side: two, probably C17 windows to right, with Y-tracery and moulded surrounds; 2-light late C19 windows to left with quatrefoil tracery, projecting cill, and hoodmould with carved stops; doorway between first and second windows from left with moulded surround, hoodmould with carved stops, and 2 boarded doors. North side: small C12 round-arched window and blocked, probably C17, window above, with 2 re-used carved corbels as brackets, Chancel: moulded eaves cornice to South, post- mediaeval diagonal buttresses to East, and parapeted gable end. South side: two, probably C18 lancets with moulded surrounds flanking central late C19 doorway with chamfered arch, hoodmould with carved stops, and boarded door. East end: large uncusped 3-light window. North sides 2-light window to right with cusped panelled tracery and blocked door to right with projecting string above. North aisle: dentil brick eaves cornice and parapeted gable end. East end: restored 2-light window with cusped Y-tracery, hoodmould, and carved stops. North side 3 partly restored 2-light windows with cusped Y-tracery, hoodmould, and carved stops. West end: 3 light C19 window with cusped quatrefoil tracery, and hoodmou1d with carved stops. Interior: North aisle arcade reputed to have come frow Lilleshall Abbey, but this is unlikely; 4 unequal bays with octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals, and double chamfered arches. Chamfered tower arch with foliated capitals; carved nave corbel table; 6 bay double hammer beam nave roof of circa 1661 with double purlins, windbraces, and scrolled brackets, three on the third from last with carved heads; probably C17 painting on East wall of nave, only 2 outstretched arms remain C19 king post North aisle roof; waggon roofed chancel. Fittings include: C17 stone font with circular stem and octagonal bowl; irregular octagonal C17 wooden pulpit with raised and fielded panels; 7 bay C19 chancel screen with tracered square headed divisions, creating, and rood cross; small C19 North aisle screen; C19 chancel panelling, reredos, and altar rails. Tablet on North wall of chancel to John Blaremore. Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropshire p.2631 Kelly's Directory of Hereford and Shropshire. 1917, pp.195 . --

Listing NGR: SJ7580212032

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Hereford and Shropshire - Date: 1917 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Page References: 195-196
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 243

National Grid Reference: SJ 75802 12032

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 08:49:04.