List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND OUTBUILDINGS

List entry Number: 1052835

Location

MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND OUTBUILDINGS, EASTEND

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireWest OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityChadlington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 253198

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP32SW CHADLINGTON EASTEND (South side) 7/17 Manor House and attached walls 27/08/57 and outbuildings

GV II*

Manor house. Early/mid C17, enlarged probably late C17 for William Rollinson, altered mid C18, possibly for Thomas Rollinson, and re-modelled c.1800. Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate and artificial stone-slate roofs with ashlar stacks. L plan. 2 storeys plus attic on semi-basement. Re-modelled 8-window front of taller late-C17 range breaks forward in the 3 bays to left, with 3 closely-spaced 6-pane sashes above a wide canted projection containing three 12-pane sashes; the remaining bays (except for bay 8 with blocked windows) have similar first-floor windows, but at ground floor bay 4 has a 12-pane sash in a stone-architraved former doorway, bay 5 has the present doorway below a lead-covered canopy of c.1800, and bays 6 and 7 have closely-spaced full-height 18-pane sashes. A moulded parapet breaks around the projecting bays and returns around the end. Right gable wall has pairs of sashes above 2-light stone-mullioned cellar windows. Left end wall has similar cellar windows, but at ground floor retains leaded 2-light mullioned windows with transoms and labels, and at first floor has 3-light mullioned windows. It forms a projection on the right of an earlier front, the left end of which is gabled and retains mullioned windows of 4 and 2 lights at ground floor and in the gable; at first floor, and on both floors in the 2-window linking section, are 12-pane sashes, and between the middle bays is a stone-architraved doorway. The parapet of the middle section is a later addition. Set back to left of the gabled bay is a late-C17 kitchen wing with a large early multi-pane sash and a matching opening incorporating a wide panelled door; gable wall retains a small mullioned window and a blocked oven opening. Attached to left is a stone-architraved gateway. Rear of earlier range has a gabled projection bearing a bellcote, and has further mullioned windows plus some sashes in the kitchen wing. Rear of taller range has mullioned windows to the cellars and to a rectangular stair projection which rises above the parapet; 3 small roof dormers have triangular pediments. A high wall, extending from the end of the range to enclose one side of the courtyard, forms the rear of 3 small C17/C18 outbuildings and includes a mullioned window. Interior: earlier range includes a bolection-mould panelled room, with a large contemporary surround over an earlier stone fireplace. Later range has a fielded-panelled room, an open-string stair with column balusters and a ramped handrail, and includes a fine drawing room with large-panelled walls, an elaborate cornice, a triangular-pedimented eared doorcase, and a Rococo fireplace with a large broken-pedimented overmantel incorporating a painting of the Thames in London flanked by scrolls. A cast-iron fireback is inscribed "WR/1738", and in a lower cellar is the date 1737. Thomas Rollinson was High Sheriff in 1766 and the drawing-room decoration may be of approximately that date. Major general Sir Henry Rawlinson, Bart, the renowned assyriologist, was born in the house, and the event is commemorated by a plaque. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p525; The Hon. T.G.Rachel Historical Notes on Chadlington and its Church: 1971, pp6-7)

Listing NGR: SP3334521961

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Author: Roche, TG - Title: Historical Notes on Chadlington and its Church - Date: 1971 - Page References: 6-7
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 525

National Grid Reference: SP 33345 21961

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 07:02:11.