List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SANDYS HOUSE

List entry Number: 1052832

Location

SANDYS HOUSE, BULL HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireWest OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityChadlington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Aug-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 253190

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP32SW CHADLINGTON BULL HILL (South side) 7/9 Sandys House

GV II

Public house, now house. Early/mid C18 and late C18/early C19. Rendered brick with ashlar dressings; coursed limestone rubble; concrete plain-tile roofs with stone-and-brick gable stacks. 2-unit plan with linked parallel range to rear. 2 storeys plus attic. Symmetrical rendered 3-window front in Baroque style, with ashlar rusticated quoins, storeybands and a deep moulded cornice, has a central keyed occulus above a pedimented C20 porch which incorporates the C18 stone-architraved doorway; outer bays have 12-pane sashes in plain stone architraves with double-stepped keyblocks. Steep-pitched roof has gable parapets. Sides and rear are rubble. Later range projects considerably to the right. Interior: first floor retains a formal arrangement with the arched entry to the attic stairs flanked by fielded-panelled doors;, butt-purl in roof. The rendering is a late-C20 addition. Formerly the Sandys Arms public house; the Sandys family held the Manor of Chadlington West from 1785 to 1835. (The Hon. T.G. Roche, Historical Notes on Chadlington and its Church, 1971, pp5-6)

Listing NGR: SP3274621967

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Author: Roche, TG - Title: Historical Notes on Chadlington and its Church - Date: 1971 - Page References: 5-6

National Grid Reference: SP 32746 21967

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 11:08:54.