List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK STAFF COLLEGE - MAIN HOUSE

List entry Number: 1052781

Location

NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK STAFF COLLEGE - MAIN HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireWest OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityHeythrop

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Aug-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 253266

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEYTHROP HEYTHROP PARK SP32NE 5/85 National Westminster Bank 27/08/57 Staff College - Main House (Formerly listed as Heythrop House (College of St. Robert Bellarmine))

GV II*

Country house (main range). Circa 1705 by Thomas Archer for Charles Talbot, first Duke of Shrewsbury; gutted by fire 1831; restored and partly rebuilt 1871 by Alfred Waterhouse for Albert Brassey. Limestone ashlar; Welsh-slate roofs with ashlar stacks. Double-courtyard plan, partly infilled. Baroque style. 2 storeys plus concealed attic on a semi-basement. Symmetrical entrance front has bay divisions of 2:2:3:2:2 with the end sections breaking forward and the centre recessed behind a projecting portico; a grand order of Corinthian pilasters and columns, rising from a rusticated basement, supports a deep entablature incorporating consoles on the projecting sections and modillions on the recessed bays. Roof has a high balustraded parapet. Windows have elaborate eared and shouldered stone architraves, at ground floor with straight entablatures but at first floor with large double-stepped keyblocks, and the return walls of the central recess have architraved niches to both floors. Central doorway has a fine perspective doorcase with a concave entablature carried on scrolls and supporting a large stone trophy of arms. Carved panels within the first-floor windows are the only C19 alteration. Broad steps to portico are flanked by walls terminating in panelled pedestals carrying large C19 iron lamp standards. Garden front has similar 2-bay projections flanking a 9-bay central section, which is unornamented save for horizontal rustication and the Doric doorcase; the basement of the central section is in plain ashlar but has architraved windows with scrolled pediments. The balustraded double stair rises over an arched recess with vermiculated voussoirs. 9-window return fronts break forward in the middle 5 bays between rusticated quoin strips and have architraved windows, at first floor with keyblocks, but the north front also has horizontal and vertical bands between the windows, and the central window has an inverted pediment on tapering pilasters. Interior: C19 arcaded 2-storey hall in Baroque style has a large fireplace and clerestory windows with figures of Faith, Hope and Charity by Morris and Co; the stone staircase rises behind the lower arcade. Principal's Lounge and Charlbury Room have heavy C19 panelling, fireplaces and coffered ceilings, the doors with ebony mouldings on mahogany and walnut. Wedgwood Room has an Adam-style ceiling and a white marble fireplace inset with 5 Classical Wedgwood panels and with Oriental porcelain panels in the splays. Bar has a marble fireplace with Tuscan columns and a central relief of a child leading a lion. Heythrop Room has a vaulted ceiling and a small fireplace inlaid with coloured marble. The original design may have been influenced by a scheme of Paolo Falconieri and includes details from Italian sources; it was executed by Francis Smith of Warwick. Heythrop is Archer's most important country house. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp647-9; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p135; Country Life: 1905: Vol 18, pp270-6) -

Listing NGR: SP3639126437

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Country Life - Date: 1905 - Journal Title: Country Life
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 34 Oxfordshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Oxford - Date: 1983 - Volume: 11 - Page References: 135
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 647-9

National Grid Reference: SP 36391 26437

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 04:52:00.