List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

List entry Number: 1052756

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityWest Challow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251277

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST CHALLOW SU38NE 2/178 Church of St. Laurence 24/11/66

GV II*

Church. Late C12; late C13 chancel; restored in mid C19. Roughcast over limestone walling; limestone ashlar dressings; stone slate roof; C20 lateral brick stack on limestone ashlar base. Nave and chancel. Late C13 two-light east window, angle buttresses. Side walls of chancel have C15 two-light square-headed windows. South side of nave has mid C19 Plate-tracery 2-light windows flanking early C16 four-centred moulded and blocked doorway. North side of nave has mid C19 two-light C15 style window and late C12 round-headed doorway with waterleaf capitals to single order of shafts. C15 gabled porch has cusped and decorative bargeboard; timber structure and screens to sides over low limestone rubble wall restored in mid C19. West gable has angle buttresses, late C13 trefoil-headed lancet and late C13 double bellcote. Gabled roof. Interior: Chancel has 2 corbels for statues, piscina restored in mid C19, wall tablet to Elizabeth Hobbs, d.1757, and John Hobbs, d.1730. C15 chancel screen with one-light divisions. Nave has early C17 panelled pulpit and C13 tub-shaped font. C18 tie-beam roof. Stained glass: Mid/late C19, except fragments of C15 glass at top of east window. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.262-3).

Listing NGR: SU3666688328

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 262 263

National Grid Reference: SU 36666 88328

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 12:10:34.