List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PRIORY COTTAGE THE PRIORY

List entry Number: 1052724

Location

PRIORY COTTAGE, 127, THE CAUSEWAY
THE PRIORY, 123, THE CAUSEWAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthoritySteventon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Feb-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251392

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STEVENTON THE CAUSEWAY SU4691 (South side) 12/78 Nos.123 (The Priory) and 127 06/08/52 (Priory Cottage) (Formerly listed as No.123 (The Priory))

GV II* Includes those parts formerly separately listed as Nos.125, 127 The Causeway and No.1 (Priory Cottage) Mill Street. Priory, now 3 dwellings. South-west block of c,l330; north-west block of c.1463; hall of c.1500; service wing to hall of c.1550; late C16 range to east; with later alterations. Irregular and large timber-framing, with some close-studding; painted brick and rendered infill; complex old plain-tile roof; various brick stacks: massive stone end stack to right with brick flues. Courtyard plan, with wing to east. 2-storey, 7-window range with 2-storeys-and-attic cross-wing to left. Plank door to right of centre with flat hood. 4-panel door to left of centre with flat hood, 4-panel part-glazed door to end of cross-wing to left. Irregular fenestration of casements and sashes except wood oriel window to ground floor right, having wood mullion and transom windows and flanking 3-light wood mullion windows. Wood oriel to first floor right, having wood mullion and transom windows. Cross-gable to centre. Jettied cross-gable to right with pendant bosses. Rear: part-encased in brick. Interior: false-hammer-beam roof truss to hall with 2 tiers of curved wind braces, Massive stone fireplace to hall. Crown-post roofs to west range and to west part of north range, Queen-post roof to rest.. Some medieval wood arched doorways visible. History: priory from 1330, and on the site of earlier priory buildings and partly used as the manor. ("Smaller Domestic Architecture and Society in North Berkshire, c.l300-c.1650, with special reference to Steventon" by C.R.J. Currie (Oxford Univ. Ph.D,thesis, 1976)

Listing NGR: SU4655891503

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Currie, C R J - Title: Smaller Domestic Architecture and Society in North Berkshire c1300-c1650 with special reference to Steventon - Date: 1976

National Grid Reference: SU 46558 91503

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 07:26:16.