List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1052689

Location

THE OLD RECTORY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityColeshill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Nov-1966

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251505

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU2393 6/39

COLESHILL The Old Rectory

21/11/66

GV II* Rectory, now house. First documentary reference to a vicarage on the site is 1677, but the house preserves features of the C14 and was altered in the C18, the C19 and finally in the 1960s. In the final phase of restoration, the C19 SW front was taken down to reveal the C18 facade beneath giving the house the Georgian character it now possesses. Rubble stone with reused C19 blocked stone dressings for the windows and dressed stone quoins. Gabled slate roof. SW front of two storeys and attic, five bays with two gabled dormers with leaded casements, modern sash windows and a projecting moulded box cornice below coped stone parapet. Centrally placed panelled door with a flat hood on ornately carved brackets. On the corner of the SE wall is a medieval diagonal buttress with set-offs and a medieval chimney stack also with set-offs centrally placed on the SE wall. The top stage of the stack has been rebuilt in brick. To the S of this are two C14 windows, one is a plain squared opening but the other, below, is a two-light mullion with cusping. To the NW a two-storey extension built in 1825 of chequered brick with a gabled slate roof.

Interior: the SE room on the ground floor has C19 arched recesses with moulded wood architraves decorated with patera. There are deep splays to the two medieval windows on the E wall.

Listing NGR: SU2365593805

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 23655 93805

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 09:17:22.