List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GRANGE

List entry Number: 1052523

Location

THE GRANGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireWest OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityLittle Tew

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-May-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251909

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE TEW SP3828 11/99 The Grange - II

Vicarage, now house. c.1858 for Revd. F. Garrett by G.E. Street, extended 1869 by C. Buckeridge and 1880 by E. Bruton. Coursed squared limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate and plain-tile roofs with stone stacks. Complex Z-shaped plan. Gothic style. 2 storeys and 2 storeys plus attic. Entrance front has a central stone porch, a canted bay window to left, and has to right a gable above a trefoil-headed mullion- and -transom first-floor window. The higher range projecting from the right is a later addition and has a turret in the angle capped by a timber-framed second-floor studio with an octagonal pyramid roof. The 4-window garden front, returning to left, has a projecting gabled bay to right, a 2-storey canted bay window to left, and includes 2 other gables and a large buttressed stack; several first-floor windows have trefoiled heads and most windows have transoms. Probably all is by Street except for the gabled verandah and the ashlar conservatory, set back to left, which were early C20 additions. A further parallel rear range projects to left. Interior: hall has pointed stone arches and a glass done. Single-storey wing at rear now contains a private theatre. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.249; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.691).

Listing NGR: SP3809428650

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Oxford - Date: 1983 - Volume: 11 - Page References: 249
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 691

National Grid Reference: SP 38094 28650

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 06:41:08.