List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WELCOMBE HOTEL

List entry Number: 1052288

Location

WELCOMBE HOTEL, WARWICK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityStratford-upon-Avon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 366434

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP25NW WARWICK ROAD, Welcombe 604-1/2/330 (North West side) 09/02/72 Welcombe Hotel

GV II*

Country house, hotel from 1931. 1866-c1880. By Thomas Newby to designs by Henry Clutton; for Mark Philips; early C20 range. Brick with ashlar dressings; slate roofs with many brick stacks with diagonal shafts and ashlar caps. Main range with attached family range to north, with service range to west; C20 range attached to south. Jacobean style. East, garden, front of 2 storeys; 3-window range. Ashlar plinth and string courses, cornice and ashlar-coped parapet with 3 shaped gables. Central 2-storey canted bay window with 2:4:2-light double-chamfered mullioned and transomed windows, pierced-work parapet and strapwork cresting; similar rectangular bays to ends have 4-light transomed window; cross-mullioned windows between bays; terrace with stone steps; left return has projecting wing and canted bay window; pierced parapet and pinnacles. Family range to right, connected by terrace with pierced parapet over Tudor arches and C20 infill block to ground floor, of 3 storeys with attic; plainer details; two 3-storey canted bay windows of 1:3:1 transomed lights with plain parapets flank entrance with glazed doors with cross-mullion windows above; two 3-light attic windows with shaped gabes; low service range to right has blind Tudor arcading. C20 wing of 2 storeys with attic; 4x4-window range attached to main range by short corridor; simple details; cross-mullion windows and end 2-storey 1:3:1-light canted bay windows with plain parapets; attic windows of 2 or 3 lights and end shaped gables. Rear has similar details: 3-window range with 1:4:1-light double transomed canted bay window with foundation stone, and similar flanking windows 3-light transomed windows to 1st floor; 3-bay porch to right has pilasters and parapet with ball finials; Tudor-headed entrance with glazed doors and 2 cross-mullioned windows. Stair wing to left has 4-light window to ground floor and 3-light windows above. Service wing to left end has Tudor-headed entrance to right of centre and cross-mullioned windows; iron area railings. Courtyard to north end has segmental-headed windows. INTERIOR: much faceted panelling with roundels and strapwork; similar 4-panel doors. Great Hall has coffered ceiling with pendants; large black marble fireplace with Tudor arch, twisted columns and Philips arms; open-well staircase with strapwork balustrade, enriched closed string and tapering square newels; landing has Tudor-arched arcade on fluted and strapwork columns; rich entablature and coffered ceiling; front right room has similar details, pilasters and strapwork to bay windows, rich scrolly pelmets and C20 bar in similar style. 1st floor has rooms with ashlar and marble fireplaces, some with inset polished stones or faceted panels; much original furniture remains. HISTORICAL NOTE: Mark Philips, 1800-73, was an important Manchester politician, one of the 1st members of Parliament for Manchester in 1832, who was much involved in reform and education; he retired to his Warwickshire estate in 1847. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 467; Occasional Papers: Tyack G: The Country Houses of Warwickshire 1800-1939: 1989-: 10, 45-7; Focus: Bearman R: Welcombe Hotel: 1980-: 8-9).

Listing NGR: SP2086556756

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 467
Bearman, R, 'Focus' in Welcombe Hotel, (1980), 8-9
Tyack, G C, 'Occasional Papers' in The Country Houses of Warwickshire 1800-1939, (1989), 10,45-7

National Grid Reference: SP 20865 56756

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 10:24:51.