List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1052127

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireKetteringDistrict AuthorityAshley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 230860

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHLEY MAIN STREET SP79SE (North side) 1/3 Church of St. Mary 25/02/57

GV I

Church. Late C13 and early C14. Tower, probably little altered, but rest extensively rebuilt and chancel entirely rebuilt by Sir G.G. Scott, 1867, for Rev. R. Pulteney. Squared coursed ironstone with limestone ashlar dressings and spire. Lead roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch in Decorated style. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 2-light windows. Small south door to left of centre. Cast iron rainwater head between windows. Steeply pitched roof with ashlar parapets and finial. 5-light east window with roundels. North elevation of chancel of one-window range similar to the south. North chapel projects over chancel and has 3-light east window. South aisle of 3-window range of 2-light windows. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapet. Porch to right of centre has ashlar gable parapets and finial and roll moulding to inner door. North aisle and north chapel of 5-window range of 2-light geometrical windows. 3 windows to centre retain some C14 tracery. Blocked north door to right of centre and lateral ashlar stack to left of centre. Lean-to roof with plain corbelled eaves and gargoyles. Ashlar gable parapets. 2- and 3-light west and east windows. Ashlar buttresses between all windows and carved label stops to all windows on south-east and west elevations of south aisle and chancel. Nave arcade of 5-window range of 2-light square-head windows. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets and gargoyles. West tower of 3 stages with 3 stage angle buttresses to western corners of lower 2 stages. 2-light west window in first stage. 4 armorial plaques to south face of second stage with clock in centre. Upper stage is limestone ashlar with pairs of 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face and shallow pilasters at corners. Broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior; 5-bay nave arcades of double chamfered arches with quatrefoil piers were probably reconstructed c.1867. C19 roll moulded chancel arch with marble outer shafts. Multi-chamfered tower arch. C19 roof structures. Triple arch opening between chancel and north chancel, has cusping, marble shafts and rich painted decoration. Rich painted wall decoration to chancel of 1867 by Clayton and Bell has frieze representing the saints, recently restored by same firm. Marble reredos, with gilding, and painted ceiling also by Clayton and Bell. Brass gates at chancel steps and brass and wrought iron communion rail. Gothic style wrought iron painted chandeliers in nave aisles and north chapel by Bodley. Richly painted organ case in north chapel by Bryceson c.1867. C19 stained glass by Clayton and Bell to chancel windows, east windows of aisles and west windows of tower. C19 screen of 7 bays forms end of north chapel into vestry C19 pink marble font with gilding in nave and C18 pedestal font in chancel. Monuments: early and mid C19 marble tablets to Farrer family, reset in north wall of chancel. Early C20 tablets to Pultney and Lascelles family to south wall of chancel. Richly decorated triple sedilia and piscina also to south wall of chancel. Chancel floor of encaustic tiles with marble insets. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.93)

Listing NGR: SP7942291014

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961 - Page References: 93

National Grid Reference: SP 79422 91014

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 08:47:59.