List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: JACOBEAN HOUSE

List entry Number: 1052126

Location

JACOBEAN HOUSE, 51, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireKetteringDistrict AuthorityBurton Latimer

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 230960

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/04/2014

SP9075 1337-0/21/30

BURTON LATIMER, CHURCH STREET (North side), No. 51 (Jacobean House)

(Formerly listed as No. 59 (Jacobean House).

Previously Listed as: Old School, CHURCH STREET, Burton Latimer)

18/01/50

GV II*

School, now house. Dated 1622, enlarged C19, converted 1972. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, thatched roof with coped gables on scrolly kneelers with baluster finials, 3 moulded ashlar stacks (central one modern or reset, replacing louvre ones to gable ends, truncated) One storey, 4-windows wide. Central C19 boarded door (though hinges may be original) flanked by fluted pilasters carrying entablature, with frieze inscribed "AND THIS HOUSE. WAS BUILT. 1622/THE FRE. SCHOOLE. WAS. FOUNDED/BY. THOMAS. BURBANKE. AND/MARGARET. HIS. WIFE. 1587/AND MEMORIA. IVISTI. BENEDICTA. P RO 10". Above is a shaped ashlar gable with finials, which contains geometrical ornament, a sundial and a cartouche enclosing a shield with an eagle (?). Windows are of 3 lights with ovolo-moulded stone mullions and leaded casements on gudgeons, cornices over and lintels inscribed "EX: DONO: JOHANNIS: MICHEL: X ", "16 DONUM: IOHANNIS: BARRIFFE: 22", "16+: GEORGIUS: PLOWRIGHT: ME: DEDIT: +22", "W XARPES CITIUS QUAM IMITABERIS N". Left return has taller 3-light window with central light stepped, but with the upper part now a blind panel inscribed to commemorate the 1972 work. Geometrical ornament above. Wing to rear C19, partly rendered (to disguise scars caused by demolition of later C19 block) and with roof of plain and shaped tiles, originally one storey but now divided into 2, has ovolo-moulded mullioned windows (and C20 dormers) Interior: originally one large school-room, now subdivided. 3 roof trusses, arch-braced to collar and with drop finial, cross-bracing above. The lower edges of the arch braces are ovolo-moulded, whilst the upper edges and the cross-braces are chamfered. 2 tiers of purlins and C20 rafters. Roof strapped and probably partly renewed in C19. It is believed that the school was actually founded in 1581 (or possibly even earlier, as Thomas Burbank was described as "founder of the free school in Burton Latimer" at his death in 1578) - the date 1587 inscribed here presumably being a mason's error. (Northampton and County Independent: June 1981: p.39).

Listing NGR: SP9024775084

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Northampton and County Independent' in June, (1981), 39

National Grid Reference: SP9024775084

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 11:59:02.