List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1052100

Location

THE MANOR HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireKetteringDistrict AuthorityCranford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 230997

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CRANFORD SP9276 CRANFORD ST.JOHN 1337-0/19/147 The Manor House 25/10/51 GV II* Large house. Early C17 (possibly earlier origin) with later alterations. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. C19 plain-tile roofs with coped gables and C20 finials. Moulded stone lateral and gable end stacks (repaired 1985) Main block and western cross wing which, with staircase wing and additional wing to south, creates a triple-gabled south facade. 2 storeys and attics. South facade: gable end of west wing has three 3-light ovolo-moulded stone mullioned windows with cornices over. Slightly latercental staircase wing has four 3-light windows, the lower left-hand window now only of 2 lights as a result of the later insertion of a doorway with gauged stone head), a 4-light window with king mullion and a sundial in the gable. Right-hand bay, later still and slightly recessed has a 3-light window to ground and first floor and a single-light window above. West front, altered probably early C19, has central C20 door in moulded stone architrave with pulvinated frieze and cornice, flanked by 3-light mullioned and transomed windows with cornices. First floor has two 3-light and a 2- light mullioned window. Similar details to north gable end of west wing. North front of main block has C19 windows but a number of blocked openings can be traced including a doorway to right. Interior: very fine early C17 full-height dog-leg staircase (similar to that in Burton Latimer Hall (q.v.)) with gadrooned string, flat Ionic balusters, panelled newel posts, elaborate openwork rooms divided by reset C17 panelling. North room has inglenook fireplace (in colossal main stack) and richly-moulded spine beam, south room has painted sundial on ceiling. First floor north room has moulded stone flat 4-centred arched fireplace. Main block divided at ground floor level to form corridor and 2 rooms. Flagged floor. Jowled stone fireplace in first floor west room. Datestone TM/AD 1629 set in paving in front of west door.

Listing NGR: SP9250376960

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 92503 76960

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 05:49:11.