List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1052098

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireKetteringDistrict AuthorityCranford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 230993

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CRANFORD SP9277 CRANFORD ST.ANDREW 1337-0/18/168 Church of St.Andrew 25/02/57 GV II* Parish church, now chapel of ease. Late C12 origin, tower late C13, alterations and additions of C14, C15 and 1674, restoration and north transept 1847. Coursed limestone rubble (partly rendered to east) with a scattering of ironstone ashlar dressings. Roofs not visible (probably of lead) West tower, nave with north aisle, south porch and north transept, chancel with north and south chapels. Tower of 2 stages: tall lower stage has set-back buttresses, low, steeply-pointed west doorway with finely- moulded shaped surround, lancet above amd a set of tiny stair-lights to left. South side has lancet and east side shows scar of earlier steeply- pitched nave roof. Each side of bell-stage has a 2-light decorated window with quatrefoil head, then 3 plain corbels (central one to south replaced by clock) and a small lancet above. Castellated parapet on moulded eaves. Castellated parapets also to, chancel and porch, plain parapets to nave and chapels. South side of nave shows signs of heightening for clerestory of 4 spherical triangles and has a bell-moulded string course, a 2-light Perpendicular square-headed window with head-stopped hood-mould and a 3- light pointed window with intersecting tracery either side of porch with continuously-moulded arched entrance and flanking buttresses. South side of south chapel, refaced with squared stone has doorway with depressed ogee head and diaomond-shaped stone above dated 1674 and a traceried 2-light window (perhaps originally of 4 lights) with 4-centred head. Row of C18 eaved headstones reset alongside wall beneath. East end of chnacel has plinth, cill band and 3-light Perpendicular traceried window with hood mould. East end of south chapel has a 2-light window with cusped lights, hood-mould and cill band. East end of north chapel has a 3-light Perpendicular window. North side of north chapel has buttress and 3-light window with 4-centred head and hood mould. C19 transept has Perpendicular style details. North aisle has a 3-light window (originally longer) with 4- centred head, and a 2-light square-headed Perpendicular window with moulded stones, resembling pieces of reset string course, placed vertically either side. Buttress at west end. North clerestory as south. Interior: late C12 3- bay north nave arcade of round single-stepped arches carried on cylindrical columns with plain round capitals. Richly-moulded C13 pointed tower arch of 4 chamfered orders. Plainer C14 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders on polygonal responds, the south one of ironstone. Roof stair rises from north chapel but rood left doorway is concealed by plaster. Heavily-restored nave roof (probably only tie-beams are pre-C19) with king posts, tracery and arch braces carried on corbels in the form of carved heads of kings, bishops and (to west) knights. Other roofs either restored or C19. Medieval piscina in north chapel and at east end of nave. East window contains fragments of medieval and C17 English and continental glass. North aisle containing brasses to John Fossebrok, d.1418 and his wife (nurse to Henry VI), and to John Fosbroke, d.1602 and his 2 wives. South chapel contains inter alia elaborate wall monuments to Bernard Walcot, d.1671 and Sir William Robinson d.1678/9 (with a bust attributed to James Hardy) and C18 slate floor slabs with inlaid curvilinear inscriptions. C19 pulpit contains reset C16 Flemish panels carved with Biblical scenes. Plain octagonal font with C17 flat cover on probably C19 traceried shafts. (V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, III: pp.188-9; Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p.167).

Listing NGR: SP9238677271

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Ryland, W and Adkins, D and Sejeantson, R - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Northampton - Date: 1930 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 188-9
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 167

National Grid Reference: SP 92386 77271

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 10:39:51.