List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1052023

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireKetteringDistrict AuthorityNewton and Little Oakley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 231116

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON SP8885 LITTLE OAKLEY 1337-0/11/182 Church of St.Peter 25/02/57 GV II* Parish church, now partly studio. C13 and C14, tower probably C15, restored by Slater and Carpenter 1867. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, low-pitched nave and aisle roofs probably of lead, other roofs of Collyweston slates. West tower, aisled nave with south porch, chancel, north-east vestry. 4-stage, west tower has plinth clasping buttresses, castellated parapet and pyramidal-roof. 2-light traceried bell-openings with transom. West side also has double board doors in arched opening with hood mould, a 2-light traceried depressed-arched window to first stage, and 2 tiny stair lights. South side also has chamfered loop light. Nave and aisles have plain parapets, clerestory of 3 square-headed, 2-light windows with ogee-headed lights and hood moulds. South side: aisle has diagonal buttresses. Porch with parapet gable has arched opening of 2 orders with hood mould enclosing arched entrance with C19 board door on decorative hinges. 3-light rectangular window to right has arched lights and hood mould with head stops. West end of aisle has similar 2-light windowk with ogee-headed lights. East end of aisle has 3-light Decorated window with large head filled with flowing tracery. South-east angle of nave parapet has louvred chimney turret. Chancel: east end has 3 lancets and round window with plate tracery trefoil above. Band at cill level. South side has 2 lancets (western one above a 2-light "low-side" window) and a 2-light Perpendicular window. North side of chancel has one lancet. C19 north-east vestry picks up detail from east end and from south aisle chimney. North aisle: diagonal buttresses. East end of aisle has 2-light square headed window with arched lights, hood-mould and head stops. Similar window in north side, also arched entrance with hood-mould and head-stops, and C19 board door on decorative hinges. West end of aisle has cusped lancet. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade on quatrefoil piers with similar but not identical capitals. Arches of 2 orders - simply chamfered to north-west arch, others sunk convex chamfers. Hood moulds with heads. Tall chamfered tower arch on semi-cylindical responds with polygonal capitals. Roof, probably C19, arch braced from head corbels to tie-beam, and traceried. Nave walls "scraped" except above chancel arch where fragments of wall-painting survive. Top of rood stair visible, but door way broken away. North aisle retains arched entrance to newel stair with carved head above.Chancel: east end shafted, with stiff-leaf capitals and brackets for statues either side. Arch-braced roof on angel corbels, all C19. Two good architectural monuments: to William Montagu, d.1620, and to anther member of the Montagu family but uninscribed c.1575. C19 altar rail and pews in chancel. C19 pulpit with "Feed my sheep" relief, in nave. Font removed. Chancel, tower and aisles divided from nave by C20 timber and glass screens. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp294-5).

Listing NGR: SP8919785596

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 294-5

National Grid Reference: SP 89197 85596

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 12:48:13.