List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1051745

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireCorbyDistrict AuthorityCottingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 229805

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COTTINGHAM CHURCH STREET SP8489 (East side) 15/22 Church of St. Mary Magdalene 25/02/57

GV I

Church. C12, mid C13 and C14, chancel said to have been rebuilt 1880. Squared coursed and regular coursed limestone and ironstone with limestone ashlar spire, with slate, corrugated sheet and lead roofs. Aisled nave and chancel, west tower and west porch. South elevation of chancel of one-window range with 3-light square-head windows with arch-head lights. South chapel, now vestry, projects over 2 bays of chancel. 4-light east window to chancel has renewed tracery with trefoils and quatrefoil circle. North elevation of chancel is blank. North chapel, now vestry, projects over 2 bays of chancel. South aisle and south chapel of 4-window range of two 2-light windows with cusping to left and 2- and 3-light square-head windows to right; some tracery is renewed. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapets. 3-light east window has tracery with mouchettes. C19 lean-to porch attached to west of south aisle has small square-head windows in south wall and chamfered and moulded door opening in west wall. North chapel of 2-window range of 2-light windows with quatrefoil tracery, that to left has been renewed. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapets, 4-light square-head east window. South aisle is set back from south chapel. 2-window range of 2-light windows with renewed reticulated tracery. Double chamfered north door opening between windows. Lean-to roof and plain ashlar parapets with 3 gargoyles. Roll moulded plinth around base of south side. Nave and chancel clerestory of 7-window range of 2-light square-head windows, some renewed C19. Shallow gabled nave and chancel roofs with ashlar parapets and finials. C14 west tower of 4 stages with 4-stage limestone ashlar angle buttresses at corners terminating as octagonal corner pinnacles. Single lancets to west face of lower stage and south face of third stage. Pairs of 2-light shafted bell-chamber openings, with quatrefoil circles, to each face of upper stage. Corbel table with carved heads with broach spire above having 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: C13 three-bay north arcade of double chamfered arches with octagonal pier. The perhaps unique capital are decorated with high relief figures lying horizontally, 2 ladies, 2 knights and a bishop. The responds have stiff leaf foliage and figures similar to the pier. The 2 western arches are separated by section of wall. The south arcade is c.1300 with double chamfered arches and quatrefoil piers. Double chamfered chancel arch and triple chamfered tower arch with C12 windows opening above. C19 two-bay north arcade to chancel has double chamfered arches with octagonal pier. C14 double chamfered single arch to south chapel, now vestry, has octagonal responds. Shallow half arches from aisles to chapels. C19 roof structures. North aisle may retain some earlier timbers. C14 tomb recess, with 3 shafts, to north wall of chancel. C18 panelled pulpit reset on C19 base. 2 niches in wall of north arcade. Plain octagonal font. C19 stained glass to east window and chancel window to right. Monuments, C18 oval tablet in north chapel to Medlycott family. (Buildings of England: p.164).



Listing NGR: SP8461289944

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 164

National Grid Reference: SP 84612 89944

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 07:53:38.