List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT

List entry Number: 1051731

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireCorbyDistrict AuthorityGretton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 229873

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRETTON STATION ROAD SP8994 (North side) 10/91 Church of St. James the Great 25/02/57

GV I

Church. Early C12, C13 chancel re-modelled C18, north transept and clerestory restored C19. Regular coursed and squared limestone and ironstone part rendered with ironstone ashlar west tower. Lead, aluminium and Collyweston slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range, refenestrated C18. Single-light square-head windows with plain ashlar surrounds. South door between windows. Steep gabled slated roof. 4-light Decorated east window with reticulated tracery. North elevation of chancel has one similar window to far right. Central lean-to projection is organ chamber. Hipped roof porch to left of centre gives access to Hatton family vault under chancel. South transept has C19 Perpendicular style south window with single lancet on right return. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets. North transept has C19 triple lancet north window. Steep gabled and slated roof with ashlar parapets. South aisle of 2-window range with late C18 2-light Gothick window to centre, set in earlier opening, and C17 four-light square-head mullion and transom window to right. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapets. C14 two-light square-head west window with renewed tracery. Limestone ashlar porch, probably C19 with chamfered outer arch and shallow gabled roof. C18 panelled inner door. North aisle of 2-window range of C12 two-light square-head windows, with tracery. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapets. Small single-light window, now blocked, in west wall. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of C19 foiled circles and cusped spherical triangles. One C14 two-light window to east end of both elevations. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets. Perpendicular west tower of 4 stages with sub-division to first stage. Shallow clasping buttresses. 2-light west window in first stage. Single-light window to south face of second stage. 4-light bell-chamber openings with transoms, to each face of fourth stage. Castellated limestone ashlar parapet with gargoyles at corners and crocketted pinnacles with panelled bases. Wooden cupola with bell. North aisle overlaps base of tower. Interior: 4-bay nave arcade. Centre 2 bays are early and mid C12 with semi-circular roll moulded arches with circular piers with square abaci with scalloping, decorated on south side. Eastern arches north and south sides are C13 double chamfered with circular pier and responds to north, and octagonal pier and responds to south. Western arches to north and south are C14 narrow pointed double chamfered. Double chamfered chancel arch with C18 panelled responds. Triple chamfered tower arch with octagonal responds. Evidence of early C12 window openings of aisless church in chancel walls. Half arches at junction of aisles with transepts have bracketed responds. Inside corner of south transept has single arcades intersecting at corner comprising a blank trefoil head to chancel wall and roll moulded arch with 2 orders of shafts to adjacent east wall. Dog-tooth decoration over both. Some original roof timbers to aisle and south transept roofs, others are C19 structures. C18 box pews with curved sides at chancel approach, C18 fielded panelled pulpit with inlaid glory decoration. C18 fielded panelled choir stalls and wall panelling to chancel, matching communion rail with turned balusters. Monuments: Leigh Clarke died 1657, tablet with oval inscribed panel south wall of chancel, brass tablet adjacent to Henry Clark died 1664. The Ladies Hatton, 1684, by William Stanton. 2 identical tablets to either side of altar have draperies and cherubs head at base. Viscount Hatton died 1706, south wall of chancel is grey sarcophagus with 2 white cherubs on volutes with inscribed obelisk between. Robert Graham, C18 tablet with cornice and coat of arms to north wall of north aisle. Fragment of medieval wall painting to right of east window. C19 stained glass to one light of north aisle window. Various medieval niches. Perpendicular octagonal font. Hatchment above south door. (Buildings of England: p.241).



Listing NGR: SP8985494417

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 241

National Grid Reference: SP 89854 94417

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 09:05:13.